Discussion at work today..Englishness

Besides, people can be proud of something they are a part of. We are all a part of this country.

If your child told you they were proud of their friend at school for raising a lot of money for charity would you tell them they could not be proud as they did not procreate the child themself or raise any money themself?

So I can be proud of the wall my neighbour built in his garden?

If you looked at the wall and thought, ah yes, a fine wall, how it improves the street, and makes me want to tell people about what a great wall my neighbour has built, and how I burst with pride every time I look at the wall, and want to shout to the whole world what a brilliant wall it is, then yes, of course you could.

You'd be slightly mad of course.

Besides, people can be proud of something they are a part of. We are all a part of this country.

If your child told you they were proud of their friend at school for raising a lot of money for charity would you tell them they could not be proud as they did not procreate the child themself or raise any money themself?

You can be proud of someone else but not in yourself for something someone else did. I was only trying to clarify my interpretation of someone else's point anyway. I'm not that bothered. I'd say 50% of what I say doesn't make sense if you take the literal meaning so I don't take issue with anyone else for doing the same.

I don't think anybody was. They were saying the definition of pride can't be applied to the situation you described.

If we are starting a petition to get the dictionary definition altered then I'm in. I am extremely proud of the wall my neighbour built himself. It's great!

Heading North was making the assertion that I cannot be proud of such things. How would he/she know? They're not me. I say I'm proud of them, it's the way I feel about it, who is anybody else to say no that is not how I feel because I can't feel like that because they say so?

Heading North was making the assertion that I cannot be proud of such things. How would he/she know? They're not me. I say I'm proud of them, it's the way I feel about it, who is anybody else to say no that is not how I feel because I can't feel like that because they say so?

I'll leave them to explain themselves if they choose. My interpretation was simply that the dictionary definition of pride states under what circumstances the word can apply. The emotion may be the same but the word to describe it should really be different. Not many people would pick you up on it though as it is obvious what is meant.

Archived