If only you knew what it's like living as a traveller

I had a traveller living upstairs from me, you could tell from her accent. It was confirmed when she confided in one of the neighbours who then refused to have anything more to do with her and told anyone and everyone she met.

To be honest I didn't have a problem with her being a traveller, I had a problem with her being a noisy obnoxious cow that couldn't care less who she was making miserable by shouting, screaming and doing wolf impersonations (I kid you not) at all hours.

Still, she isn't the worst neighbour I've had. The worst people I've lived next to are white students of a middle class background, they really do think they can live by their own laws, because Daddy said so.

How can you tell from their accent? I don't think that I'd know a traveller if I fell over one.

How can you tell from their accent? I don't think that I'd know a traveller if I fell over one.

Her accent was almost Irish, but not quite. Incredibly thick too (the accent that is).

I know Irish accents as I have family all over southern Ireland, this was just off somehow.

The only time I'd heard anything like it was in a pub near a Traveller site near Skegness, many years ago.

I would like to add that I worked with a traveller in a call center about 12 years ago and she was the loveliest woman you could hope to meet.:)

IVAN LILLEY, For someone that says 'we must never forget our heroes' you are quick to forget 'why'they are our heroes.

They fought for the freedoms of Gypsies and you come on and spew vile at them as quick as a Nazi.

In fact I reckon that that whole 'state of our VC grave' topic was just cobblers. I think its just a rouse to get people to be more patriotic and then nationalistic so as to drive home your true right wing agenda on here.

I completely agree.

Whilst I enjoy the things around me, and the mutual love, friendship and support that my urban family provide, I occasionally find myself wishing I'd had the balls to give up everything I had and become a traveller.

Although I acknowledge that at times it mustn't be easy, I envy the sense of community, and the ability to just up and leave whenever they like - onto the next big adventure.

In response to the OP. Don't worry - we're not all anti-gypsy :) Personally I just treat people as I find them. It would be a bit narrow minded and bigoted of me to lump all people with commonality into a conveniently marked box marked 'undesirable'.

Her accent was almost Irish, but not quite. Incredibly thick too (the accent that is).

I know Irish accents as I have family all over southern Ireland, this was just off somehow.

The only time I'd heard anything like it was in a pub near a Traveller site near Skegness, many years ago.

I would like to add that I worked with a traveller in a call center about 12 years ago and she was the loveliest woman you could hope to meet.:)

Your just saying that cos you got free pegs...:hihi:

Half my family used to be romanies a few generations ago and a lot of them still work in fair grounds and circuses down here my grandfather was a booth boxer before he became burks,bucksand oxon featherweight boxing champ, it's thanks to him that our branch of the family is quite far removed from being gypsies now, though i do get ants in my pants if i live in one spot to long.

if people cant tell your a traveller they cant discriminate against you. its obviously something your doing that makes it obvious you are/were a traveller, and I wouldnt be surprised if its something negative. If you have a house and are self employed the only way people would discriminate against you being a traveller is if you are behaing like one. You dont think that maybe its just your behaviour people are disciminating against? Try behaivng like the herd or go get a new one.

I suppose you would tell someone to stop being black, stop being a woman, stop being a mother, stop being Jewish, stop having a disabillity - and you will get on well in life????

People should be judged on their own merits - if they want to work, they want to work. If they want to be a lazy dole bludger, they will be a lazy dole bludger.

Why is it ok to descriminate against some people, but illegal to do it to others?

IVAN LILLEY, For someone that says 'we must never forget our heroes' you are quick to forget 'why'they are our heroes.

They fought for the freedoms of Gypsies and you come on and spew vile at them as quick as a Nazi.

In fact I reckon that that whole 'state of our VC grave' topic was just cobblers. I think its just a rouse to get people to be more patriotic and then nationalistic so as to drive home your true right wing agenda on here.

im all for equal rights, im not for low life getting more rights. then bleating for more. gypsies play the system as do many other groups. then bleat racism when they dont get what they demand. rights are good buts where is the responsibility charter. why is the law not applied equally? if i get angry im racist. if a gypsy gets anggry they are a victim. equality for all except those who contribute? its totally sickening

im all for equal rights, im not for low life getting more rights. then bleating for more. gypsies play the system as do many other groups. then bleat racism when they dont get what they demand. rights are good buts where is the responsibility charter. why is the law not applied equally? if i get angry im racist. if a gypsy gets anggry they are a victim. equality for all except those who contribute? its totally sickening

What are you getting angry about? Who has described you as being racist? If you believe that's the case, it's probably because you're generalising about a community who you describe as 'low lifes', 'don't contribute' and believe are favoured by the law.

Not all travellers are on benefits, 'demand more rights' or 'bleat racism when they don't get what they want'.

Archived