If only you knew what it's like living as a traveller

jewls29 seems to have left the buiding....

there's plenty of advice offered on this thread - some more sensible than others, but we've had no response or clarification from the OP to explain what her specific grievances are.

Hmm im a bit confused here...all together in my life i have moved over ten times and im 22 this year...not our fault mind you but still we've moved a fair bit. I've settled now in a home but know its not going to be our last move and that we're going to need a smaller place....does this make me a "traveller" ???? Just wondering thats all.

I think its unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, you will have good and bad experiences with every type of person...

But again i dont know the difference between a gypsy and a traveller so i dont know...i thought they were both the same...maybe someone can fill me in on the details???

I think 'travellers' have earned their bad reputation, but dont tar them all with the same brush. I have met quite a few over the years and wouldn't trust many of them at all. English, Irish, Romanian all deploy the same tactics. I dont deal with them at all, I dont buy off them, wont have them tarmac for me or anything else. Trust has to be earned, it is not given automatically.

I think 'travellers' have earned their bad reputation, but dont tar them all with the same brush. I have met quite a few over the years and wouldn't trust many of them at all. English, Irish, Romanian all deploy the same tactics. I dont deal with them at all, I dont buy off them, wont have them tarmac for me or anything else. Trust has to be earned, it is not given automatically.
I think many share your skepticism but it then boils down to sociaty not trusting you, driving your community closer together and a great deal lack of trust on all sides.

If sociaty in general treats you with contemt than you will not have respect for that sociaty.

I don't excuse any of the bad experiances that people have with travellers but I know if I felt exclussion I would think sod the lot of you. In fact dont we all spit out dummies out on this forum when no one shares our point of view or questions us ?

where i grew up in surrey there was a gypsy camp where a few familys had decided to settle down and others came and went, i went to school with a couple of the girls and they were certainly a hell of a lot more respectful than most of the other kids at school, my sister went through a right bad time with our mum and ended up moving into the camp and shared a caravan with one of the girls she went to school with. she was fed clothed and cared for and they did not ask for anything in return.

the father of this girl started his own landscaping buisness and earnt alot of respect in the area when his family/other travelers came visiting they would do a lot of labouring/landscaping/window cleaning anything that earnt them a crust really, and most of them wasn't on any sort of benefits as they had no perminant address to be able to claim any, and also alot had the biggest sense of pride ive ever come accross.

the only trouble to do with them was when people with chips on there shoulders decided they were better than the gypsys and went to the camp mob handed.

im struggling to see why anyone should have to earn a little respect from new communities/towns surely its a case of people have it straight of and then may lose it if they do something to warrent so!

I have had plenty of dealings with travellers and none of them have been positive in the least. You can bleat all you want but they marginalise themselves with their lifestyle, the disruptive things they do, the aggravation they cause and the mess they leave behind. Like I stated nothing positive from start to finish and then they moan about non acceptance.

Another recent news item:

Travellers move on to playing fields in Gloucester

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/10333924.stm

A Gloucester City Council spokesman said that when council staff arrived they found a new security gate and lock had been forced open.

Hmm, "it was like that when we got here" no doubt.

In my previous experiences with Gypsies/Travelers through my job I've had nothing but grief from Gypsies/Travellers to the point that I refuse to work with them now. And I'm talking about a few dangerous situations where I've genuinely feard for my life and the other situations I just simply haven't been paid and recieved hastle as well.

Archived