Garden strimmers - WHY PLASTIC WIRE??

I can't stand another season of temperamental teenager-throwing-the-strimmer-across-the-lawn-and-exploding-with-frustration so just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Why oh why do manufacturers supply plastic 'wire' that self-combusts at the sight of a dandelion? Has anyone tried substituting real wire that might do more than just half a metre?

I've tried substituting the teenager for his mother, and her performance with said strimmer isn't much better!

Is it possible to buy industrial-strength strimmers? What do professionals do?

I can't stand another season of temperamental teenager-throwing-the-strimmer-across-the-lawn-and-exploding-with-frustration so just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Why oh why do manufacturers supply plastic 'wire' that self-combusts at the sight of a dandelion? Has anyone tried substituting real wire that might do more than just half a metre?

I've tried substituting the teenager for his mother, and her performance with said strimmer isn't much better!

Is it possible to buy industrial-strength strimmers? What do professionals do?

:hihi:

I have nothing to contribute, Sh. Just wanted to let you know I completely agree.

Hope you're well btw.

x

Quite happy with plastic wire, 3 reels for £1 from poundland.

It works quite well

Really? Don't you find that you go a few inches (yes ok, maybe a little further) before both ends disappear completely? I tried going round our very small front lawn and I'm not kidding, I must have stopped eight times. I'm telling ya, if I had teenage hormones racing through my blood I'd have been glued to uh, whatever it is that teenageers watch on tv, for the next two hours....

its nylon, not plastic, get it right ;) - and if your strimmer works properly and your not trying to chop down anything too thick it lasts a while...

a full roll should be able to do the average garden atleast 10 times...

its nylon, not plastic, get it right ;) - and if your strimmer works properly and your not trying to chop down anything too thick it lasts a while...

a full roll should be able to do the average garden atleast 10 times...

Hmmmmmm. Maybe my point is along the lines of...why is the only stuff on offer nylon/plastic that breaks so often (trust me) rather than indestructible wire?

All we're trying to do is the edges of the lawn. So, dandelions and grass is beating what should be able to cope....