Internet Geek Problem

My apologies for my post above Sidla but I had to laugh.

I only knew the answer as I cheated so it was unfair.

If I was doing a final year module thingy on Wireless Communications I would certainly try and include this :wink:

OK, I'm fairly certain that nothing will pop up about RFC1149 in any of my exams.

Although this might seem like a pretty wacky suggestion though, in theory it could be quite an efficient way of transmitting data. If you could find some device to store say 100GB of data and you put it on some sort of flying device and sent it to a location 1 hour away you would achieve an approximate transmission rate of 239Mbps. That's some bandwidth.

Originally posted by Sidla

OK, I'm fairly certain that nothing will pop up about RFC1149 in any of my exams.

Although this might seem like a pretty wacky suggestion though, in theory it could be quite an efficient way of transmitting data. If you could find some device to store say 100GB of data and you put it on some sort of flying device and sent it to a location 1 hour away you would achieve an approximate transmission rate of 239Mbps. That's some bandwidth.

Pretty astounding minimum packet size though.

Maybe we need to genetically engineer pigeons to understand maps, and automate the packet printing and leg affixing process too. Pigeons could then be told their destination and at the other end some unwrapping/reading device.

You can now get little buttons that store something like 64kb of data that can be read and written to wirelessly at short (a few metres) range. These passive devices could be attached to pigeons legs and would be much more effecient.

This method has been postulated for people although no RFC exists: pollination networks

I just think it's great that 10 years ago a joker decided to write an RFC (request for comments - often a green paper for an internet related technology) proposing using racing pigeons to carry internet packets, and then the Bergen Linux User Group (a bunch of hairy geeks no less!) decide to implement and test it. Successfully!!

I give you a toast to Norwegians everywhere (and coming from a swede, that's something!)

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

I just think it's great that 10 years ago a joker decided to write an RFC (request for comments - often a green paper for an internet related technology) proposing using racing pigeons to carry internet packets, and then the Bergen Linux User Group (a bunch of hairy geeks no less!) decide to implement and test it. Successfully!!

It doesn't really surprise me though. There's so many people (like me, I might add) with far too much time on their hands to play about with stupid things like this. You only have to look at some of the crazy acronyms we use to see what a weird sense of humour some of us geeky people have.

Originally posted by mikey

This new protocol is all well and good, but how do you account for dropped packets or collisions?

Seems like a bit more work is needed before this takes off.

;)

Collisions are unlikely, unless you've got drunk pigeons!

Archived