Genocide, rape, torture, destruction and displacement in Kyrgyzstan

It was early afternoon when the mob surged down an alley of neat rose bushes and halted outside Zarifa's house.

The Kyrgyz men broke into her courtyard and sat Zarifa down next to a cherry tree.

They asked her a couple of questions.

After confirming she was an ethnic Uzbek, they stripped her, raped her and cut off her fingers.

After that they killed her and her small son, throwing their bodies into the street.

They then moved on to the next house.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/kyrgyzstan

It was early afternoon when the mob surged down an alley of neat rose bushes and halted outside Zarifa's house.

The Kyrgyz men broke into her courtyard and sat Zarifa down next to a cherry tree.

After confirming she was an ethnic Uzbek, they stripped her, raped her and cut off her fingers.

After that they killed her and her small son, throwing their bodies into the street.

both sides seem to be sunni muslims, so whats the cause of this horror? money? just awful.

both sides seem to be sunni muslims, so whats the cause of this horror? money? just awful.

Read somewhere it was because of the elections. As for the religion problem, I think it's more of political problem since religions are created by man. There is no difference to me; we might as well call our leaders Gods.

IVAN LILLEY, can you please learn how to use the Quote facility? (i.e. leaving the tags on BOTH ends of the quote intact)

It takes a lot of moderating time to follow someone round and fix the tags.

Have you read any of the stories in the link? What do you think? Should the UK offer asylum to refuges as it did in the 90's with the Balkan genocide? Is it a UN military problem?

I watched a news report about what is happening in Kyrgyzstan with horror last night. It's astonishing that a single gunman killing 12 people in this country merits interrupting normal programmes, cancelling a number of them and broadcasting 'news specials', yet the wholesale massacre of people in Kyrgyzstan, or Darfur, or even in Bosnia, merits only a mention later on down the news broadcasts after the sensational news about the England football team.

Someone's got the priorities wrong somewhere along the line.

As for what is done about the situation, I'm not sure that I've got enough information to genuinely understand what needs to happen, but it wouldn't be too much to ask for the UN to have a look to see if there's anything that peacekeepers could do, would it?

I don't have the first clue about the stresses and strains in that part of the world apart from the depressing regularity of human depravity that comes to the surface when order breaks down.

Apparently Kyrgyzstan has is an air base used by the US as a logistics stop for Afghanistan / Iraq. Obviously they have immediate military capability so it will be interesting to see the level of enthusiasm the UN / Americans have to help out this week rather than in a years time.

Archived