Catholic uproar gets World Cup Ad banned.

I think both stories are a load of horse ****. The ad shouldn't have been taken off air, Rooney should tell the FA get stuffed he is as free as anybody to talk about his own faith.

Have a slight difficulty with that one mj. Talking about faith and talking about your own faith are a little different. Would you object to a teacher talking to your child about a faith which included radical fundamentalism. When in the public eye there are many who can be radically or fundamentally influenced by an "icon" (you only have to see some of the followers of football to understand that). The only religion I want to know from Rooney is, is he going to get us in the final.

Yes of course they do, who has said otherwise?

Only because they wanted to sell things to them.

You're joking right?

Can you really not see the difference between an advertiser choosing to pull an advert in order to maximise profits and the state censoring one of its citizens because of a perceived offence?

Because I can, the Danish Government has no right to remove the advert. If the paper which published the cartoons was particularly interested in selling papers to Muslims then perhaps they will choose to remove it, but no-one has the right to censor them.

It sounds a lot like you're arguing that the Danish government should have banned the cartoons, I hope that's not what you're arguing, is it?

NO they didn't, no-one claimed that people don't have the right to complain, what we did claim (and is still true) is that the cartoonist do not have to do anything about the complaints. You are perfectly entitled to complain and they are perfectly entitled to do absolutely nothing about it.

Have you not seen the 'they're only cartoons' argument on here as though there is nothing to be offeded about?

The vast majority of the Muslim world was simplx looking for acknowledgment that the cartoons were indeed offensive. They instead treated to lectures about satire and sense of humor and were informed they lacked it. :roll:

Have you not seen the 'they're only cartoons' argument on here as though there is nothing to be offeded about?

The vast majority of the Muslim world was simplx looking for acknowledgment that the cartoons were indeed offensive. They instead treated to lectures about satire and sense of humor and were informed they lacked it. :roll:

The cartoons were offensive, deliberately so in some cases. They were even referred to as "the offensive cartoons" in the media. The "Muslim world", wherever that is, was not simplx looking for acknowledgement of that fact and you know it.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise saying 'they're only cartoons' equates to saying 'you have no right to complain'....

oh wait, that's because it doesn't, and you are dishonestly trying to link the two.

No-one at all (that I have heard or read) has said that Muslims have no right to be offended by the cartoons, all we have said is that we think it is very silly and unreasonable for them to do so.

The vast majority of the Muslim world was simplx looking for acknowledgment that the cartoons were indeed offensive.
Yeah, and nobody cares about that. What we were shocked and appalled by was the small but quite significant minority of Muslims who called for the death of the cartoonists and used threats of violence in order to censor people.

They instead treated to lectures about satire and sense of humor and were informed they lacked it. :roll:

Well yeah, sounds about right to me.

here's another one that could get pulled. Pregnant nuns and ice cream!

It is a little bemusing that according to the Advertising Standards Agency the complaint is about mocking Catholic belief in 'the virgin birth of Jesus'. Perhaps those making such a complaint ought to pay more attention to their own religion - the reference in the ad is to the 'Immaculate Conception' - not at all the same thing as the virgin birth.

The cartoons were offensive, deliberately so in some cases. They were even referred to as "the offensive cartoons" in the media. The "Muslim world", wherever that is, was not simplx looking for acknowledgement of that fact and you know it.

I indeed do know that the vast majority of the Muslim world was indeed looking for an acknowledgement rather than death of the guy. If Majority of Muslims would have wanted him dead then there is a good chance he would be and you know it.

Oh and the simplx came about when trying to use a telephone key pad to post on here, but thanks for the swipe.

I indeed do know that the vast majority of the Muslim world was indeed looking for an acknowledgement rather than death of the guy. If Majority of Muslims would have wanted him dead then there is a good chance he would be and you know it.

Oh and the simplx came about when trying to use a telephone key pad to post on here, but thanks for the swipe.

So as long as the media includes a disclaimer, that readers/viewers/listeners might find some material offensive, thus acknowledging the fact, then the "Muslim world" is happy yes?

As for even hinting that I might have said, or even think, that the majority of Muslims want some cartoonist dead, I have to tell you that I did find that offensive, not in some subjective peer group pretend offense way, actually personally offensive about my character.

:(

Archived