Putting your colourful past behind you

A story about a boxing promoter with a criminal past got me thinking earlier. How easy would you find it to move on from a less than ordinary past? Do other people care?

There are all sorts of things that people do before they move on but should it continue to colour their lives

Prison? Gangs? Drug use? Violence? Fraud? Embezzlement? Bankruptcy? Alcoholism? Extreme poverty? Philandering?

Do you care? Where would you draw the line?

I think that this is something which would come down to individual circumstances. I would find it very hard to trust in any capacity someone who had been convicted of a number of sexual offences or offences against children, for instance, and there would obviously be a reticence to trust someone who had a history of fraud, theft or embezzlement in a business setting.

I doubt I'd have problems trusting someone with a history of drug or alcohol abuse once I was sure that the HAD moved on though, and bankruptcy does not automatically imply dishonesty, so that wouldn't really be so much of an issue.

However, it's perfectly possible for me to find it hard to trust someone who had a history of none of the above and who may have no shady past behind them at all.

I'd draw the line at paedophilia, or really any child abuse, it is abhorent in my view it should never be forgiven or forgotten. Substance abuse can be fought, and cicumstances for different areas of crime quite often attributed to drug addiction, ie theft can be forgiven (in a way) if the crime has been paid for (in any way these days it can be!!)

Archived