Soggy paper in supermarket packs of meat

Am I the only person who is fed up with supermarkets including a sheet of paper in with prepacked meat?

Yesterday I bought a pack of mince to make a spaghetti Bolognese, but when I tried to get the mince out of the package there was a decomposing sheet of paper mixed in with it. :gag::gag:

I know of no recipies that require both minced beef and paper, so why do they feel the need to include it?

Is anyone else fed up with this or am I just a rubbish cook? OR BOTH..

I'm guessing it is to soak some of the juices up so the meat doesn't look like it is sat in a pool of blood

It soaks up nothing as it appears to be a sheet of greaseproof paper before it starts to come apart.

Maybe it's a bit of both; greaseproof on one side to stop the meat sticking to the packaging and some sort of blotting paper underneath for the blood.

My friend has just said that in some packs of mince there is a thin sheet of greaseproof paper under the meat. She thinks it is to stop the mince falling apart when you take it out of the pack. Could it be that?

Why not try a proper butchers shop, and get real meat, not the pap that supermarkets serve pre-packed?

Very good point. The mass marketed stuff is just garbage compared to proper quality meat. Bacon & chicken breasts are very very poor from supermarkets. Chicken breasts are nearly translucent with all the additives & water they force inject into them!

Archived