Poor dog is attacked by deer, while cats escapes.

Almost any adult animal will attack almost any animal if it feels its young are under threat. I'm not at all surprised to see the deer go for such a large dog - it certainly wouldn't wait to see if the dog actually was going to attack the fawn, it would attack pre-emptively when the dog gets anywhere near. (Quite possibly the dog didn't even know the fawn was there.)

The mother must have assumed the cat was no threat, at least to begin with. I see at the end that she doesn't take kindly to the cat swatting her across the nose.

My heart was crying for that poor dog, admittedly i think the deer felt cornered as it didnt particularly want the cat near it too and the deer chose to go for something that would be more dangerous to the fawn.

I wouldnt be surprised if the poor doggy suffered a few broken bones and pychological scars.

Is it just me or is the cat trying to attack the baby deer in the begining, cats usually try to kill they prey by stopping their breathing. Not sure if am right but it looks like its trying to fit its mouth onto the baby deers head in the begining.

Is it just me or is the cat trying to attack the baby deer in the begining, cats usually try to kill they prey by stopping their breathing. Not sure if am right but it looks like its trying to fit its mouth onto the baby deers head in the begining.

My impression is that the cat wasn't sure what the thing was or what to do about it. Cats won't often attack something bigger than themselves, although it does happen.

If I'm right, then it very nearly was a case of curiosity killing the cat, but I am no animal expert. I know enough to stay away from any wild animal that has its young in tow, and I've been chased out of fields by angry sheep before now when they thought I was after their lambs.

I've been watching it and i think the deer didnt feel too threatened by the cat because of its size, if the deer did what it did to the dog, to the cat, the cat would be dead!

I think the dog came in at the wrong time and left the deer feeling cornered and perhaps ganged up against and went for the bigger of two evils (in the deers eyes)

I am curious as to know whether the doggy is ok though :(

I've been watching it and i think the deer didnt feel too threatened by the cat because of its size, if the deer did what it did to the dog, to the cat, the cat would be dead!

I think the dog came in at the wrong time and left the deer feeling cornered and perhaps ganged up against and went for the bigger of two evils (in the deers eyes)

I am curious as to know whether the doggy is ok though :(

The guy who posted the video is apparently the owner of the cat, and he reports that the dog survived and is recovering.

You may well be right about the mother thinking it was facing a double threat, which would make her all the more likely to try and take out the dog before it and the cat could join forces. She was clearly watching the cat fairly closely, but wasn't too worried about it until after the dog had showed up.

Wow go mummy deer! Impressive! I'm sure the cat and the dog will learn their lesson and not approach deer in the future.

The cat appeared to just be curious about what this thing was in the first instance.

The video caption states that both cat and dog were fine.

I'm more wondering why the dog was loose on what appears to be a public road to be honest.

Archived