Does anyone have any tales of hairdressers in the 50s and 60s?

Shaw's on West Street. Used to do blow waves. No puns needed. They were just the fashionable hair cuts of the late 50s/early 60s.

Also, the guy who ran the barber's shop on the Stradbroke estate who only knew the colliers' cut. Short back and sides, scalped at the back.

I used to be a regular patron of the first of these but avoided the Stradbroke guy like the plague.

I can remember the old 'hot' perms!!! Hair was wrapped around rollers and hot clamps were put on top of the rollers!! A ladies head must have felt like it weighed a ton!! I guess you needed strong neck muscles!!! My Mum used to use curling tongs on my (very) straight hair, seem to recall she put them on the cooker top to heat them, then would have a damp cloth to wipe them down then curl my hair, it was torture!! Later she would curl my hair with kirby grips, after them came the rollers, awful to sleep in as they were made of hard plastic. The home perms......... Toni, Richard Hudnut arrgh!!!!! Our hair today has to be in much better condition than it was 40-50 years ago!!!!

I worked at various ideal salons in Sheffield and rotherham.the owners name was arthur hepworth and his wifes name was florence.their daughter was valerie and her husbands name was archie who was the tall good looking guy they were good to work for.the name of the hot perm was callinan wave. the smell was awful, pure ammonia! and they cost 7/6d.

Archived