Does anyone have any tales of hairdressers in the 50s and 60s?

At the IS it was some vile green jelly like substance which we put into a dustbin full of warm water and mixed up with a broom handle. I think it did double duty as an anti-dandruff shampoo as well. :D

Did you have that pink stuff that smelt like marzipan that was supposed to do something wonderful to the hair ... almond conditioner? And that thick purple stuff that ladies with white or grey hair used to have plastered on, left for ten minutes or so and rinsed off? Purple rinse? And filling the lacquer sprays up, chiselling the build-up off the nozzles, and then wiping the spray residue off the mirrors with meths at the end of the day?

I'd forgotten what hard work it all was keeping the ladies of Sheffield beautiful.

I always felt that i`d earnt my £1.00 for my work there! 4 hours on a Friday evening after school and 7.30am to 1.30pm on a saturday.!!!!!! Happy days

Does anyone remember McDonalds near the top of Cambridge Street next to Seamans the Photographer's Studio.

The old Mr McDonald used to show up about once a week and would insist on doing some haircuts.

When I used to go he was a very old man and painfully slow, the other barbers were so frustrated with him but he owned the shop.

The funniest thing about him was the ridiculous wig he wore.

It was a small Ginger coloured patch that he wore on the top of his almost bald head.

It just sat there like a sunburnt grass sod.

You couldn't help but laugh.

Does anyone else remember him?

How about Frankie Peach who had a shop on Darnall Terminus for years? Once sprinkeld Vitalis ( a spirit hair dressing) onto Dennis Hobsons hair then gave him a singe.

The sight of Dennis chasing Frank through Darnall with his head smoking still wearing a white gown is one i will never forget.

My Mom used to go to Margery Robinsons in Greenhill village once a month and have a shampoo, cut and set using Armami setting lotion. She then went home washed and set it herself because they always put kiss curls coming down onto her forehead which she hated but she never asked them not to do it.

Archived