Does anyone have any tales of hairdressers in the 50s and 60s?

lightning fred bottom of burton st you could see a tram on hillfoot bridge have your hair cut and catch it barber lee bottom of cottam st barber handley 0n the long row jess wragg bottom of wood street they used to sell the men little envelopes if you asked what they were you got a crack found out later they were condoms 1940s-50s

Another name from the past, Marjery Dalton on West Street.

Yes, I use to go there...real posh place as I remember, some nice shops around there too, I remember staring at a tweed coat with a fur color in a shop window next to Daltons, Elizabeth Taylor wore one just like it in Butterfief 8 :) that was the only thing shown in the window, I saved up and bought it finely, wore it for years then my Mom wore it after for another 20 years. it was still in good shape when we gave it away some 30 odd years later.

At the IS it was some vile green jelly like substance which we put into a dustbin full of warm water and mixed up with a broom handle. I think it did double duty as an anti-dandruff shampoo as well. :D

Did you have that pink stuff that smelt like marzipan that was supposed to do something wonderful to the hair ... almond conditioner? And that thick purple stuff that ladies with white or grey hair used to have plastered on, left for ten minutes or so and rinsed off? Purple rinse? And filling the lacquer sprays up, chiselling the build-up off the nozzles, and then wiping the spray residue off the mirrors with meths at the end of the day?

I'd forgotten what hard work it all was keeping the ladies of Sheffield beautiful.

Oh do I !!!! wonder if thats why i`m not keen on the smell of almonds now. lol

I remember the stylists! one of them never spoke to me unless she wanted me to either wash her ladys` hair or make her lady a cup of tea, the others wern`t to bad, don`t remember the old lady ever doing anything at all except praising this `revolutionary` hair laquer removal shampoo.

I always felt that i`d earnt my £1.00 for my work there! 4 hours on a Friday evening after school and 7.30am to 1.30pm on a saturday.!!!!!! Happy days
I did the same hours, in 1962/63. There were a lot of people worked there when I was a shampoo girl. Both floors were always full. I was a bit in awe of them, tbh, they all seemed very sophisticated to me at the time! Who were the stylists when you were there? I remember Mr Graham, the top stylist, he was very tempremental and once threw a brush at me because it had a few hairs left in the bristles! Mr Paul, Miss Maureen was the manageress, Miss Rita, Miss Julie. Mary and Karen were improvers that I remember. Angela was the receptionist, Mr Epworth and Mr Archie were always in attendance at Reception fawning over the clients. Customer service was the order of the day.

My most hated job was picking through the hair bin to find discarded pins and clips :gag: And putting used damp towels under the dryers when the towel deliveryman was delayed and trying to pretend we weren't! :D It could be fun though sometimes.

Does anyone remember Marjorie and Freddie Woods salon at the bottom of Artisan View at Heeley? They were there for years, he did the barbering in the little shop at the side and she ran the big salon on the main road frontage which most recently was a kitchen outlet, but is now empty again. Then the Crest on Grimesthorpe Rd at Pitsmoor, where one of my cousins worked for a while in the 60s.

Anyone remember Kay Middleton? She had a funny little shop on Ecclesall Road, a real tarter she was! There was a hairdressers opposite too, just by Curleys signs!! Can't remember the name of the hairdressers, it is, after all almost 50 years ago!!!

Archived