I would not wish unemployment on anybody!

The past few months i have been unemployed and claiming job seekers allowance. I would not wish this fate on anybody.

The job centre is run by idiots, public sector pen pushers who should be in the dole queue themself as they would never get a job in the private sector.

I messed up the other day... I was suppose to sign on late afternoon, but i had to go up near manchester in the morning to help my grand mother do her shopping while other family members (who live closer, are on holiday).

I set off about 10ish and expected to be back well before my sign on time. Little did i know i would get stuck behind a load of traffic on one of the motorways, then again the park way was jammed in sheffield due to some motorbike been on fire in the road.

So i called the job centre and let them know why i could not come in, i was told just to come in the next day and sign and explain what happened.

I went in as i was told first thing the next morning. Some lacky then interrogated me like i was some sort of criminal on probation, telling me it says in the small print of one of the dozens of little booklets they give you that you cant leave the city without telling the job centre, even if its just for a day... basically you need permission!!!!!

I had to then wait around for an hour to speak with another bigger lacky from "upstairs" who asked me the same questions, but in more detail, wanting to know everything! What road i was on, what time the traffic started, how long i was in traffic, all these stupid questions.

Now they are sending off some rubbish claim to doncaster for a "decision maker" to decide whether im entitled to job seekers allowance for the whole week!

Basically they are saying that i was not available for work, so i should lose £51 (a weeks dole money). I was only out of the city for a few bloody hours.

I was even asked by some stupid jobsworth if i did any job seeking activity while i was out of sheffield. lol It is just so pathetic!

Then i read the form the woman filled in to send to this decision maker... and the way she worded it all, it sounded like i was out of sheffield all week! It did not mention the fact i was only gone a few hours. I had to force her to put the time i was out of sheffield.

I am livid!

Just livid! I would not wish unemployment on anybody. Never mind not having any money, and a shrinking self worth... the worse part is having to deal with the job centre. Overall it took 4 people to handle this little "dispute" yesterday. 4 people! And none of them could make a decision using common sense, instead they have to send off information to some faceless person in doncaster to do their dirty work for them.

I asked her "how the hell am i suppose to eat and travel to job interviews etc.. if you take £51 off me... thats the only income i have!!!"

The heartless cow just shrugged and basically said its not her problem and she does not know how.

God, i hope the tories BUTCHER the public sector... or at least butcher the job centre. They dont need all those useless staff and all this box ticking, they need to start the whole benefits system from scratch.

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe you have to inform them if you leave Sheffield, surely that's against your Human Rights? You are not a criminal, you don't have a tag that prevents you from leaving Sheffield. Disgusting to be fair and I share your feelings on it.

Better not tell them that i left sheffield several times the other week to attend job interviews in barnsley ey! shushhhh

I accept responsibility for missing my sign on appointment, it was my choice to go help with the shopping, but i should have been back with plenty of time, its the first time ive missed any appointment for job centre. and i did let them know that i could not make it, and its not like i lied... bloody wish i did lie now, wish i told them i was ill or something.

i told the woman who was interrogating me... i was available for work, i just dont bloody have any work to do! if i was working then i would not have left sheffield!

something else i learnt about yesterday... not only do they treat you like your on probation when it comes to your whereabouts... but they treat you like children / animals.

she told me about something they call "treats". basically a treat is where they will excuse you from signing on, due to illness or holiday or something. you get so many "treats" per year. so if i knew the rules about leaving sheffield i would have called them up and said "worse comes to worse if there is an accident or heavy traffic, i wont be able to make my sign this afternoon", they might have given me a "treat" for been a good good boy and telling them what i was doing.

I thought, well I know, that there was a scheme whereby one could get travelling costs to an interview reimbursed. No one in the Job Centre appeared to know it, a glance at the posters above their heads would have given them a clue however.

I can't believe you have to inform them if you leave Sheffield, surely that's against your Human Rights? You are not a criminal, you don't have a tag that prevents you from leaving Sheffield. Disgusting to be fair and I share your feelings on it.

That's because it isn't true. I'm afraid the OP is exaggerating to try and prove a point.

That's because it isn't true. I'm afraid the OP is exaggerating to try and prove a point.

im afraid i am not

here is the quote from the one of the many booklets they give you

YOU MUST TELL US IMMEDIATELY IF YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE, FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU OR YOUR PARTNER:

- CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS OR ARE GOING AWAY FROM HOME, EVEN IF IT IS FOR A DAY"

the staff can interpret that how ever they want. i would not class a 1 hours drive to manchester "going away from home for the day". i was only gone a few hours.

Archived