I would not wish unemployment on anybody!

Probably because they are too busy seeing people that couldn’t make their scheduled time :roll: come on lets be fair one commitment every other week its not asking too much is it.

Who said it was? I'm talking about their hypocritical behaviour and general lack of manners.

I will tell you where i saw it right in front of my eyes FORM ES40JP PAGE 4 ITEM 6

Change address or are going away from home even if its for a day

unless of course this is fake as well

Could be the Manx version. I do actually think there is one as well. The only online reference I found was to the DWP 1002. I'll look at a current copy as soon as possible.

He wasn't sensationalising it at all. It DOES state you have to inform them if you are going away for even a day and the people at the jobcentre ARE idiots. Everything he said is true, yet some people will still find a way to have a go.

Shaz, legally you don't have to, unless you take it to the letter of the law, as opposed to using the law.

You are only supposed to say anything if you have prior knowledge of where you're going, why, and you intend to go. It also has to be in writing, and before you go.

This particular situation will go down as a 'domestic emergency', unless there have been several other domestic matters recently. You do not have to (save for the absolute legal reasons) say in which town you are.

When I say absolute legal reasons, I mean it has to get to the point where when those reasons are argued, there may be a reason to dispute the answers.

Okay, forget generalisations, I'll speak from experience; any time I've had to deal with the jobcentre I've been screwed around with and treated sub-human, yet if you make any sort of mistake they're all over you like a fat kid on a doughnut. For example, if you're 10 minutes late you get a bollocking, yet any time I've been down for an appointment I've never been seen on time, they regularly keep you waiting for up to half an hour and then don't even offer you an apology.

No sensationalism, just facts from experience.

Ever thought that the wazzocks who have kept workers waiting have meant that workers haven't even had a drink of water since their first interview?

Yes, people who are there genuinely wanting to help do turn up.

Oddly enough after ten wazzocks who want to waste an adviser's time (which becomes your time), one person turns up (randomly, through appointments) who does want help.

It is remarkable how often this person turns up at exactly the wrong time. I'm not being sarky, it always is like that! But really, do you really begrudge an adviser a cuppa? Staff who are front line may be public servants, but at least let them have a sodding cuppa!

Fair point. And let's extend it to appearance. So anyone who:

• Is clearly under the influence.

• Pretends they cannot understand English (apart from 'I'll see you in a fortnight')

• Obviously hasn't had a wash in a week.

• Has no proof whatsoever of job-seeking activity

• Thinks the JC is a creche for their ugly, loud, next-generation feckless kid(s).

Can join the queue marked 'Clear off. Don't waste our time'. This will give you the time to spend with people who obviously want help and maybe even brighten your mood!

But of course, that won't happen. Discrimination, innit? Breaches their 'Human (?) Rights!'.

But actually, it's plainly stated in your literature etc. - 'Should be actively seeking work...' when they plainly aren't. But this is blatantly ignored whereas the 'You must tell us...even if it's only for a day...' is adhered to rigourously.

That's all understandable happyhippy, but it's a lot of conjecture on your part. What if this and what if that. I never said JC workers shouldn't be allowed breaks or a chance for a cup of tea. Even if they have had to deal with 10 morons prior to my appointment, they should still maintain enough professionalism to treat me appropriately, seeing as I have arrived on time, looking presentable and speaking politely. At least offer me an apology for having to wait around for half an hour. There are so many jobs out there where snotty, rude customers will make you feel like turning into the incredible hulk, but if everyone succumbed to those feelings the world would be chaotic. You have to put on your fake smile and stay polite; I know this from my own experience and I know it's not easy, but it's just something you should do as a good employee. It is something the majority of people at the JC have forgotten how to do.

I guess my point here is to treat everyone individually and appropriately; if some tool rolls into the jobcentre late and with an attitude, fine, keep them waiting and don't apologise. If, however, someone like me turns up, on time, show me the same respect.

I can't believe you have to inform them if you leave Sheffield, surely that's against your Human Rights? You are not a criminal, you don't have a tag that prevents you from leaving Sheffield. Disgusting to be fair and I share your feelings on it.

What is even worse is when you claim for JC they want to see ALL your bank accounts and how much money you have in. And ALL your wage slips for the previous 3 months.

I tried to claim few years ago. I filled in a massive online form, then someone phoned me up to ask the same questions and then I had to go down to the job centre and someone else again asked all the same questions. After 6 weeks no money had appeared. I sent a letter but got no reply, I phoned up but they said that they couldn't see why it hadn't been sent. I asked at the JC when I signed on but they said it was nothing to do with them. I gave up in the end.

Personally I think they do right. Not saying you are, but so many people seem to cheat the system that they have to start getting stricter.

To me, it seems a little odd that you have an appointment with the job centre and so decide to go off to Manchester for the day. You say the relatives are on holiday, why didn't you arrange to help her with her shopping on another day? You knew the relatives were going on holiday, if they couldn't make it for some unexpected reason and your gran was in danger then I'd understand it.

If you can't get to an appointment once every 2 weeks then they do right to consider whether you are entitled to receive the money.

Who are these people who seem to cheat the system? Whats your evidence for this?

Who are these people who seem to cheat the system? Whats your evidence for this?

I know i said i would not post on this thread again despite the fact i started it.

But i have to say... i hear the same thing all the time Keith.

"People are cheating the system"

Who? How? In what way?

I could think of a few ways, but im not sure the problem is so huge.

Of course there will be people who lie about things like council tax, for example single mothers saying they live alone so they get more benefits.

But i think the truth is, most will probably only do that because they need to. Surviving on benefits is hard, and such thing as a £30 discount per month on council tax (assuming she has to pay any of it), could make a huge difference to the food thats going on the table in that household.

But then you have the people who clearly cheat the system. Those faking disability. Those who have cash only jobs on the side while claiming JSA and other benefits. These people do exist, maybe not in such large numbers , but they need finding, and punishing. They should pay back every penny!

Archived