What have the Irish ever Invented

The Potato famine was an English invention was it :huh:

You really are an ass (pun intended)

On the contrary, I know what I'm talking about, whereas you are not even prepared to contemplate any information you find unpalatable. Rather an ass than an igorant **** head!

I hope this will enlighten you as to the role successive English parliaments played in bringing about the potato famine by causing the conditions which forced the Irish to become completely reliant on potatoes as the only crop they could grow enough of to feed their families with the small strips of third rate land that were left them after the rest had been stolen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_%28Ireland%29

" At the top of the "social pyramid" was the "ascendancy class", the English and Anglo-Irish families who owned most of the land, and who had more or less limitless power over their tenants. Some of their estates were vast: the Earl of Lucan owned over 60,000 acres (240 km2). Many of these landlords lived in England and were called "absentee landlords". They used agents to administer their property, with the revenue being sent to England.[15] A number of the absentee landlords living in England never set foot in Ireland. They took rents from "impoverished tenants" paid minimal wages to raise crops and livestock for export.[16]"

This version of events is universally accepted by historians, including British ones. If you can find any credible alternative version, post a link.

Originally posted by Harleyman...........

I suspect in light of your post that he was just getting a kick out making fun of an Englishman in revenge for the English trying to usurp the game of Hurley with an import from England

I reckon cricket is a wonderful game to watch on a sunny afternoon. Some of the best restful sleeps I've had I owe to that game

.Oh dear! I'll stop doing the funnies if they aren't understood.... or maybe they aren't funny.

I had the same trouble except that ........!. She was female 2. She was German. " When do they start?" she asked after an uneventful over and said "It's not fair ! All those 11 on one side & just 2 on the other". We left, but don't mention the war or football.,

One good thing about this thread is that we can have a gentle dig at each other without the mods banning it and no one has screamed "Racist Pigs !"

Maybe some should take note, learn how we are & integrate.....

Keep up the responses, it's good for the brain!

The potato famine was a hidden blessing. It forced the Irish to get away from the scum from England who kept them as feudal serfs on land that they got by robbery and jobbery.

A hidden blessing that killed a million, and cost the country a quarter of it's population, leaving lots agricultural land lost. Even today Ireland's and Northern Ireland's combined population is still lower than it was pre famine which has hindered it's development.

As blessings go this one's extremely well hidden.

Carrying on from the English inventions thread what have the Irish ever invented. It was often said by social commentators such as Mick Miller and others that the Irish invented the toilet seat but it was modified when an Englishman put a hole in it.

What else have the Irish ever invented?

Lucky Charms.

On the contrary, I know what I'm talking about, whereas you are not even prepared to contemplate any information you find unpalatable. Rather an ass than an igorant **** head!

I hope this will enlighten you as to the role successive English parliaments played in bringing about the potato famine by causing the conditions which forced the Irish to become completely reliant on potatoes as the only crop they could grow enough of to feed their families with the small strips of third rate land that were left them after the rest had been stolen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_%28Ireland%29

" At the top of the "social pyramid" was the "ascendancy class", the English and Anglo-Irish families who owned most of the land, and who had more or less limitless power over their tenants. Some of their estates were vast: the Earl of Lucan owned over 60,000 acres (240 km2). Many of these landlords lived in England and were called "absentee landlords". They used agents to administer their property, with the revenue being sent to England.[15] A number of the absentee landlords living in England never set foot in Ireland. They took rents from "impoverished tenants" paid minimal wages to raise crops and livestock for export.[16]"

This version of events is universally accepted by historians, including British ones. If you can find any credible alternative version, post a link.

No need to find an alternative version of anything is there you wikipedia copy and pasting ass, your point is irrelevant, the potato famine was not an 'English invention', so stick to facts and stop twisting things for your own bitter agenda, and if you want to up the anti in the name calling stakes your more than welcome :P

No need to find an alternative version of anything is there you wikipedia copy and pasting ass, your point is irrelevant, the potato famine was not an 'English invention', so stick to facts and stop twisting things for your own bitter agenda, and if you want to up the anti in the name calling stakes your more than welcome :P

Because the source is wikipedia it can't be true. Stock answer of the brain dead!

http://history1800s.about.com/od/immigration/a/famine01.htm

Is that good enough for you?

or How about this from the BBC then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/famine_01.shtml

But I'm sure you can come up with endless arguments while avoiding any mention of the facts concerning what we are talking about!

As for having a 'bitter agenda' You are the one who doesn't even want to look at well documented and widely accepted historical accounts of this subject because it might contradict your cozy nationalistic delusions. Yet despite your obvious ignorance on the subject, you quite prepared to argue about it anyway? By the way, what does the 'w' stand for? let me guess....

Because the source is wikipedia it can't be true. Stock answer of the brain dead!

http://history1800s.about.com/od/immigration/a/famine01.htm

Is that good enough for you?

or How about this from the BBC then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/famine_01.shtml

As for having a 'bitter agenda' You are the one who is too spineless to find out the truth about this subject because it might contradict your cozy nationalistic delusions.

Looks like someones struck a raw nerve ?????

Archived