Memories of Rose Hill, Brightside

hi Spacecat....Thanks for the information...found the pic and when zoomed up is not a bad view over to Rose hill. ...phoned the Sheff. Library and they will print a copy for me when I call in later this week. Do you have an interest in this area?

I notice you are located at Sheffield Lane top ....first 20+ years of my life I lived on Hatfield House lane....Dad walked me over Jenkin to grandparents house when I was kid....am trying to see if I can make some of those hazy memories a little clearer

Thanks for your help....much appreciated.

Hi again Karling ,

So glad you found the pic useful.

Sorry, I was born in Pitsmoor and lived there for over 20 years . I've only lived at Lane Top for the last 5 years but before that I lived and worked in Brightside for a few years and I love looking at the old photos of these areas. If I come across any more info or pics I'll PM you .

Thanks again cat631....yes those houses in the background are Rose Hill and I'm sure you're right about the chimneys. Jessops steel works provided work for so many lads and men in Brightside, including my mother's three brothers who all spent their working life there......Looked so different when I drove past the other day.....no chimneys and no Jesssops!

Hello Karling. On your original post I assumed you were talking about Jenkin Road as the houses on the hill. Until I saw Spacecat's pic, I didn't realise there were a lot more houses around there. I wonder what addresses the houses on Rose Hill used? If you look at the map I posted there are no street or road names.

Rose Hill on the map you sent me is immediately behind the school. My map is similar to yours but obviously a bit more recent....I think it is from the 1930s and the school buildings are more developed. It's interesting to compare the two maps and I will send you a copy of mine when I find out how to do it. Those step down to the main road running alongside the river Don are marked on both . I notice your map has a urinal marked by the river ,almost at the foot of the steps.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Gladwell 64....almost one year late I have just come across your comment on Rose Hill at Brightside. You mention four names, one of whom is my cousin Susan Gill......You also mention Barry Gill....don't know a Barry but Susan's older brother was called Bryan (think it was with a "y") Their dad was a younger brother of my mother. I knew the family only when they were very young children. Am now in my 80's so we are going backquite a way

I'm particularly interested in the houses on Rose Hill. Did you ever see them?

Karling

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 16:17 ----------

i remember rose hill....barry gill ...susan gill...peter lee...barry gurnhill

Hi gladwell..your comment was written December last year but I came across it only the other day.

My memories of Rose Hill are over half a century old so need some support.

I would be interested to hear more from you particularly about the houses on the hill and the Gill family. My grandparents were called Gill and I visited when I was very young.....just have vague memories of the area.

Hope you keep up with the Forum better than I have and manage a reply soon

Archived