Government announces that free Swimming for Pensioners and Kids to end!

It seemed such a good idea to me to help promote Health amongst the young and to reward those that have worked all their lives with a nice free activity.

Well the new Government has decided to take this away from them as shown in the link.

A bit galling to these people to know that they’ve lost this facility so that the well-off can get their next set of tax breaks.

Cheers Nick for helping the nasty party get this implemented.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10343421.stm

Can we afford it = No

Money better spent elsewhere = Yes

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I'd rather my money went on providing this facility than on giving tax back to the rich.

But each to their own I suppose!

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I'd rather my money went on providing this facility than on giving tax back to the rich.

Could you provide costings so we could see that your comparisons are valid.

Because of Labours policy of constant borrowing when we couldn`t afford it , we now have to cut our cloth to fit.

there are going to have to be cuts right across the board.

for ths you can lay the blame firmly at the door of Labour.

Guest sibon
Because of Labours policy of constant borrowing when we couldn`t afford it , we now have to cut our cloth to fit.

there are going to have to be cuts right across the board.

for ths you can lay the blame firmly at the door of Labour.

Absolutely wrong.

There have to be cuts, but the Con-Dems can choose exactly what to cut and by how much.

In this case, I think that they are correct. They made a mess of several other decisions yesterday.

It seemed such a good idea to me to help promote Health amongst the young and to reward those that have worked all their lives with a nice free activity.

Well the new Government has decided to take this away from them as shown in the link.

A bit galling to these people to know that they’ve lost this facility so that the well-off can get their next set of tax breaks.

Cheers Nick for helping the nasty party get this implemented.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10343421.stm

The Lib Dem controlled Sheffield council had refused to participate in free swimming for under-16s and pensioners.

However, what with this and the cancellation of the Forge Master loan and much much more, the coalition government might soon be in a position to end the 50p tax rate for high earners. Let's see if it happens in Osborne's emergency budget next week.

Could you provide costings so we could see that your comparisons are valid.

The article shows the following as the cost

"Ending the scheme on 31 July will save £40m of the £140m cost of the scheme, the government says."

The article shows the following as the cost

"Ending the scheme on 31 July will save £40m of the £140m cost of the scheme, the government says."

Don't you think that the money could have been better spent elsewhere?

Archived