Government announces that free Swimming for Pensioners and Kids to end!

I see you've really thought this one through. So how would you propose to do that? Did I mention that both live in Monaco?

I neither know or care where they live. What irks me is people who use off-shore accounts and other elaborate ways of avoiding paying tax in the UK, which is why Hamilton buggered off to Switzerland to avoid paying £4M per year tax esp.at the moment when we are so short of money.

I wonder how much dough could be clawed back closing all these loop holes the rich exploit. That was the point I was rather clumsily making!

Look guys, we are not wealthy but can well afford our utility bills, bus fares and prescriptions, however for the wife and I they are either subsidised or free. Probably as well as we can treat our son and his partner to the odd luxury in life that they find beyond them. We've not made it a mission to find out exactly what we can get for free, but when we see young couples with kids filling their shopping trolleys with 'value' food we begin to wonder where things have gone wrong.

OAP's can get great holiday deals, they can jet off for 3 months off season for what it costs a couple with 2 kids for a fortnight within school holiday periods, hang on, I'm saying 'they', when I'm one of them. Our finances are our business, but we don't intend to spend the rest of our lives searching for things that we can get for nowt.

I neither know or care where they live. What irks me is people who use off-shore accounts and other elaborate ways of avoiding paying tax in the UK, which is why Hamilton buggered off to Switzerland to avoid paying £4M per year tax esp.at the moment when we are so short of money.

I wonder how much dough could be clawed back closing all these loop holes the rich exploit. That was the point I was rather clumsily making!

What about the multimillionaire foreign sports people who live in this country, should they have to give up their passport if they don't pay tax in their country of origin? Should they also pay tax here as well?

I wonder how much dough could be clawed back closing all these loop holes the rich exploit.

Less than nothing. As you point out in your own post with the example of Hamilton, if you try to tax the rich too heavily they just move somewhere else and pay a tax bill of zero to the UK.

At a time when cuts have to be made due to Labour`s mismanagement , what money that is avilable has to be directed to the priority areas.

Now , free swimming lessons for unfit fat kids and coffin dodgers is NOT a priority area for money to be spent.

Less than nothing. As you point out in your own post with the example of Hamilton, if you try to tax the rich too heavily they just move somewhere else and pay a tax bill of zero to the UK.

Nail hit firmly on head.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/City-chairman-leaves-UK-avoid-taxes/article-2215556-detail/article.html

BRISTOL City chairman Steve Lansdown has revealed he has moved to the Channel Islands in the wake of the Government's decision to increase income tax for the super rich to 50 per cent.

Mr Lansdown – who is one of the city's most successful businessmen and has a personal fortune of £452 million – has bought a house on Guernsey and is now living full-time in the tax-free haven.

He did at one time pay around £13 million UK income tax each year, but refused to pay £16 million. Now of course the UK collect absolutely zero from him.... or VAT...etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently so; but then, given the number of councils who never took it up because the money they were granted for introducing the scheme didn't cover the cost of doing so, it doesn't strike me as a particularly good scheme to begin with. I'm sure what money we can still afford to spend can be put to better use.

Archived