Accidents on Kelvin Flats

im sure i can remember this happening to my nans neighbour,the name richard comes to mind,i cant remember how old but i would say around 4,i dont even remember when it was possibly earlyl 70s

I worked with the little girls father at the time,Les Dean if I remember correctly.He was a van driver for the company which was on Countess Road off John Street opposite to the old players entrance of the pigs.

That was on Hyde Park flats on the big block, High Pavement to St John's row.

I still have awful memories of it, he was so young.

I dont know the lad who was killed but did meet him, I remember his cousins John and David Turner who lived on the manor. It made the front pages obviously and was so sad, RIP,

mumsy

Edited by mumsy
spelling mistake!

• 7 months later...

I worked on Kelvin Flats for P.W.D.When they was built in the sixty,s.

A bloke who worked on the site had a bit of trouble from his Mrs and climbed up on to the end of the crane jib that towered above the flats.he said he was going to jump off.

The site agent told the ganger who was a big bloke who wore a ginger wig to get up there and fetch the silly sod down his face was a picture .

Anyway he climbed up onto the crane jib and then his bottle went so he was stuck along with the bloke he was supposed to be rescuing, and to top it all his wig fell off.

The fire brigade came and in the end got them both down to loud cheers from us lot on site who never laid a brick that day as we had been told not to walk about.

Funny thing was the same bloke did it again 2 weeks later and the whole rigmarole was repeated.

I remember a small child falling , his mum was called Avril.

I also remember a chillian woman jumping.

Also a man at the Halfpenny pub.

Something about the bridge a drunk falling

A friend of my mums jumped near the gatefield but survived.

And to top it all Noddy Holder having a egg threw at him, something to do with the film flame.

Oh and someone threw a welly at the local copper Jeff.................