How do you stop your child from smoking?

im not a smoker and im glad at the moment my teenagers havent started they prefer there money to much to waste it on bad breath and bad health my freinds son is 12 too she has just found her son smoking only by accident she was going threw his stuff in the bedroom as he wouldnt tidy is room so she did she found half a packet of backy wiv papers and tips which were moms and dads anyway, she has grounded him when he has his pocket money he can only spend it when there with him but she cant keep tabs on him while hes at school i find its taught behaviour on the majority of youngsters today her parents smoke and his dads parents do his father was smoking at the early age of 10 so what does that say to the youngster, but then my mom smokes my dad had snuff and used the odd pipe my oh smokes the odd fag but not when he is with me as i dont have it in the house or the car i cant stand the smell nor can my kids they find it dirty altho there freinds do smoke.

as mine were growing up i swore to them if i caught them before the legal age i would get the biggest blackest strongest cigar going and make them smoke it all lol see how good it is then.

Cost to NHS about 3 bill. Money generated about 10 bill. I'll look for accurate figures if you don't believe me.

And less people smoke nowadays, so that tallies.

9 or 10? I stopped last year for 3 months, and 2 or 3 normal cigs made me sick :hihi:, when I forced myself to smoke them [in a moment of stupidity].

I think, that you live in cloud cuckoo land tbh. I don't think that you are a genuine poster given what I read on the other thread as well as this one. Though, I could be wrong, and hope so, otherwise, waste of time posting and giving our opinions. ;)

:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

But banning ciggys would be the worst thing that the government could do, with regards to sorting out the 'problem'. It almost certainly would stop quite a large number of people smoking, but would also create a huge amount of crime, like marij, heroin, alcohol etc has already proved in the past and present.

This one comment has hurt me more than any other that I have had flung at me by the usuaul bunch of sad Vultures. I am genuine. I am also very creative, and if I had wished to create a stir for the sake of it, I would have posted about something far more intersting than this.

I asked for advise, I have recieved it from decent people. Lets stop the stream of crap and arguing that the other thread attracted, and ask that medusa do her thing again. The time is right.

My kids started young. Their mother always smoked, even through pregnancy and I was an on/off smoker. I haven't touched on in two years. They still smoke and it worries me. I feel like I have failed in some way.

Second daughter (now 17) doesn't want to stop as she is worried she will put weight on and oldest daughter stop starts. I have tried incentives, threats and 'education' but nothing seems to work.

For two main reasons:

1) Banning anything makes it more enticing to those who like doing 'naughty' things for the thrill, so is usually counterproductive, and

2) The tax paid by all of the smokers who have yet to quit makes up really quite a huge amount, which would all be lost to the state if tobacco was banned.

Banning didn't work for heroin, marajuana or cocaine, so why would it work for tobacco?

Thanks for your advise medusa, I have taken it on board as I have from the other sensible posters. I feel that some people are jumping on board to cause a bit of hassle as they did in the other thread. I have learned not to start this sort of thread again the hard way, and will leave it for someone else to do in future. Bit of a shame really, but people are people.

Is it ok for me to request the closure of this thread?

Thanks for listening. :)

My kids started young. Their mother always smoked, even through pregnancy and I was an on/off smoker. I haven't touched on in two years. They still smoke and it worries me. I feel like I have failed in some way.

Second daughter (now 17) doesn't want to stop as she is worried she will put weight on and oldest daughter stop starts. I have tried incentives, threats and 'education' but nothing seems to work.

tell her ive lost 2 stone 6 pounds since quitting (just dont tell her im so hungry all the time lol)

This one comment has hurt me more than any other that I have had flung at me by the usuaul bunch of sad Vultures.

I'm usually a sad vulture? :( This comment has hurt me.

:hihi:

There are so many people posting on here, that are 'wind up merchants' [or ex-wind up merchants with new names], that is it difficult to keep up.

I am genuine. I am also very creative, and if I had wished to create a stir for the sake of it, I would have posted about something far more intersting than this.

Fair enough, I did say that I hoped I was wrong :). And since when is children not smoking, not an interesting or important topic?

Lets stop the stream of crap and arguing that the other thread attracted, and ask that medusa do her thing again. The time is right.

Where did I argue with you? So, because you didn't like my answers, I'm a part of the stream of crap?. I answered some of your questions, including my opinion, and quoted some facts which I know I can back up with links.

Since I'm not decent, is that why you ignored everything else on my post? This was why I said you lived in cloud cuckoo land, because you seem to ignore anything that doesn't suit your ideal. You did it in that other thread about your child, and seem to be doing the same in this one. It's an observation, rather than an insult.

If you look again. You asked some questions, to which I answered without arguing.

See here..

If the effects are so bad, why does the government not ban them and relieve the drain on our health care

Cost to NHS about 3 bill. Money generated about 10 bill.

-

When I was a kid (not a good one by any means, probably mixed company with you!!), The dangers of smoking were not made as clear as they are now.

Nowadays the dangers of smoking are plastered all over the place. Fag packets show awefull images.

And less people smoke nowadays, so that tallies.

-

Becuase it is not enforced in the same way that banning the production of nuclear warheads in a rogue State is. Silly example? maybe,maybe not, but I think you get the gist.

It almost certainly would stop quite a large number of people smoking, but would also create a huge amount of crime, like marij, heroin, alcohol etc has already proved in the past and present.

;)

Want advice more than anything. Having a bit of a raw deal at the mo' with my kids. Was warned by my parents about how they turn into strangers when they reach adolescence, but this is hitting me like a tonne of bricks!

My twelve year old came home this evening with his breath stinking like an ash tray.

I didn't make it an issue of it (learned from advice from another thread).

Anyone who has had similar dealings, and managed to sort the problem out with minimum hassle, please advise.

Thanks.

Force him to smoke 20 Camel, one after the other. Non stop.

I've always noticed the relationship between people that I meet who smoke, and whether their parents smoked when they were younger. Almost everyone that I know whose parents smoked, have been a smoker at some point in their lives, or are still smoking. And almost everyone that I know who have never smoked, had parents who never smoked whilst the people were children.

I'd love to do a study on it. I'm convinced of the link, and that it would outdo the reasoning which is commonly considered to be 'peer pressure'.

This looks like I'm blaming parents, but there is meant to be no such inference. I just wonder if I'm right?:huh:.

This is a tricky one. I work with a lot of young lasses, and many of them smoke. The amount of times that I hear 'I can stop when I want', is just a constant reminder of how I once thought. 'worried that she will put on weight' is just one of the millions of excuses that I've heard [though that particular one I've never used as I wouldn't mind putting on weight!:hihi:].

Incentives and threats just won't work, I don't think. You have to change her mindset, into believing that there simply is no benefit to smoking, and that she did just fine without them, before she started.

tell her ive lost 2 stone 6 pounds since quitting (just dont tell her im so hungry all the time lol)

Carly, I'm not sure about the theory of hungry:confused:. I quit last year for three months, and I wouldn't say I was more hungry per se, but ate more, as an excuse for something to do. Buy a rubiks cube or summat :hihi:

Archived