How do you stop your child from smoking?

I've always noticed the relationship between people that I meet who smoke, and whether their parents smoked when they were younger. Almost everyone that I know whose parents smoked, have been a smoker at some point in their lives, or are still smoking. And almost everyone that I know who have never smoked, had parents who never smoked.

I'd love to do a study on it. I'm convinced of the link, and that it would outdo the reasoning which is commonly considered to be 'peer pressure'.

This looks like I'm blaming parents, but there is meant to be no such inference. I just wonder if I'm right?:huh:.

This is a tricky one. I work with a lot of young lasses, and many of them smoke. The amount of times that I hear 'I can stop when I want', is just a constant reminder of how I once thought. 'worried that she will put on weight' is just one of the millions of excuses that I've heard [though that particular one I've used, I wouldn't mind putting on weight!:hihi:].

Incentives and threats just won't work, I don't think. You have to change her mindset, into believing that there simply is no benefit to smoking, and that she did just fine without them, before she started.

Carly, I'm not sure about the theory of hungry:confused:. I quit last year for three months, and I wouldn't say I was more hungry per se, but ate more, as an excuse for something to do. Buy a rubiks cube or summat :hihi:

They taste crap. Try a doughnut instead, saves on the dental fees too. ;)

Carly, I'm not sure about the theory of hungry:confused:. I quit last year for three months, and I wouldn't say I was more hungry per se, but ate more, as an excuse for something to do. Buy a rubiks cube or summat :hihi:

my point was ive lost weight since i stopped smoking......... a positive reason not to continue purely for weight managment.

hungry all the time as i consume a max of 800 cals a day (ussualy less) which consists of one meal and one snack after going up to 19 stone from a coctail of phychotic drugs side effects and my thyroid being killed off. and exercise isn't easy due to various dissabilities hense although ive lost weight im hungry all the time but dont tell her that bit as the fact ive lost weight since stopping smoking is the only part of relevent to his daughter!

as for telling me to buy a rubiks cube or summat well i don't see what that would achieve?

I'm usually a sad vulture? :( This comment has hurt me.

:hihi:

There are so many people posting on here, that are 'wind up merchants' [or ex-wind up merchants with new names], that is it difficult to keep up.

Fair enough, I did say that I hoped I was wrong :). And since when is children not smoking, not an interesting or important topic?

Where did I argue with you? So, because you didn't like my answers, I'm a part of the stream of crap?. I answered some of your questions, including my opinion, and quoted some facts which I know I can back up with links.

Since I'm not decent, is that why you ignored everything else on my post? This was why I said you lived in cloud cuckoo land, because you seem to ignore anything that doesn't suit your ideal. You did it in that other thread about your child, and seem to be doing the same in this one. It's an observation, rather than an insult.

If you look again. You asked some questions, to which I answered without arguing.

See here..

-

-

;)

It's ok ash, no harm done. ;)

Perhaps we should set up a self-help group for our children, or for us parents of children who smoke?

Positive thinking Bloomdido, I like it!.

What do you propose? Give us your thoughts, lets set the ball rolling. I am hard pressed at the moment to think of anything more worthy of a parents efforts. :thumbsup:

You are in S13? Let's introduce the children to each other and let them talk about why they smoke. I work in the voluntary sector. I'll set this up as a pilot and ask for money from the PCT to replicate it across Sheffield (There is money out there).

Oldest daughter had a fag today after 5 days of not smoking cos she met up with youngest daughter who still smokes. I despair.

PM me if you like. What is there to lose? We can also put Woodhouse right while we are at it.

You are in S13? Let's introduce the children to each other and let them talk about why they smoke. I work in the voluntary sector. I'll set this up as a pilot and ask for money from the PCT to replicate it across Sheffield (There is money out there).

Oldest daughter had a fag today after 5 days of not smoking cos she met up with youngest daughter who still smokes. I despair.

PM me if you like. What is there to lose? We can also put Woodhouse right while we are at it.

Tall order, but I will speak to a few people and PM next evening. In the mean time it might help to invite the posters on the Woodhouse thread to get involved. Bit less of the banter, and a little more purpose!

I am with you all the way. :)

Archived