Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

bellis

Originally posted by kirky

i was one of the skins doin the chasing

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

used to batter the hippies all over town:D :D

proper pussies

Kirky, was that you and your mates who chased me from Barker's Pool to Pond Street following a concert by the Incredible String Band at the City Hall in the early 70s?

I've still got the scars. ;)

Originally posted by kirky

i was one of the skins doin the chasing

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

used to batter the hippies all over town:D :D

proper pussies

PEACE LOVERS I think the word is for hippies NOT proper pussies as you put it.

And I was one of those long haired people who was NOT a peace lover, so I hope it was you I smashed over the head with an empty Newcastle Brown bottle Xmas 1981 in the Peace Gardens following an unexpected (well not really) ambush.

Originally posted by mojoworking

Kirky, was that you and your mates who chased me from Barker's Pool to Pond Street following a concert by the Incredible String Band at the City Hall in the early 70s?

I've still got the scars. ;)

not me i never caught anyone:hihi: :hihi:

luckily i grew out of it by the time i was 35:)

The skins I knew around 81 were al decent blokes, never started anything but by God they could finish it. Another memory I have is a record store in Sheffield around 82 when a few skins from Wakefield were in asking for racist bands music. The guy tolerated them for a few minures and then told them his brother was killed by Nazis during WW II and that the hammer he was holding would be splitting heads if they did not "**** off".

I'm not sure if they could fight, but they sure could run!!!!

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Did the SKINS have any preferred pubs or clubs in the 80/81/82 period? Was'nt there a bar or club called BARROW-BOYS or something they used to hang out in under a railway bridge somewhere? Didnt they also go down the Leadmill a lot in the early days?

The Marples, downstairs. Not too sure about Barrow Boys (under Commercial street if memory serves). Never saw thm at The Leadmill unless there was a punk gig. Oh and Rebels on thursday nights.

Yeah the skins used to hang around the Barrow Boys and the pub at the bottom of the road where the Cossack is (sorry can't remember pub or road name). Another favourite haunt was the gallery down at the markets. They'd stand there drinking cheap cider and then throw the bottles off, usually at the SWP paper sellers!

I knew quite a few of them as I was a punk at the time. There was Adolf, Skinner, Briggsy, can't remeber any other names right now. I see Briggsy sometimes. He's a personal trainer now and does landscape gardening too. He's actually a really nice bloke who's 'grown up' ok!