Why is water heavy?

Now then...

Firstly, that statement (in bold) is perfectly correct but isn't what you said. You gave values for weight with kg and g as the unit, rendering it incorrect.

Giving weights in kilograms is only incorrect if you are a professional scientist. To the rest of the the world, kilograms are units of weight. Indeed, the original kilogram was defined as the weight of a given lump of metal at a given temperature. I believe the lump of metal in question is still kept in a museum in Sevres.

Guest sibon
Giving weights in kilograms is only incorrect if you are a professional scientist. To the rest of the the world, kilograms are units of weight. Indeed, the original kilogram was defined as the weight of a given lump of metal at a given temperature. I believe the lump of metal in question is still kept in a museum in Sevres.

Giving weights in kilogrammes is only correct if you are happy to be wrong about it.

Here you go, the IPK in all of its glory. The S.I. unit of mass.

Guest sibon
The general public do not use the SI system. They're happy with the original metric system of metre lengths, second times, and kilogram weights.

A lot of the general public are distinctly unhappy with the metric system, full stop. That is the reason why we still have miles, pounds, ounces and pints. So they are not exactly the ideal reference point.

The original metric system used metric time, by the way.

Archived