Why is water heavy?

Guest sibon
360 million out of a population of ... about eight thousand million and counting ... is not "a lot." It's a fairly tiny fraction.

I think you missed Burma out:hihi: Make that 410 million.

Good point though, I was simply thinking of the UK.

Indeed, the original kilogram was defined as the weight of a given lump of metal at a given temperature.

Hi HN.

Can you provide any evidence to support this totally incorrect claim?

Headline:

Shock scientific discovery. Poster on SF reveals generations of scientists to be wrong about the distinction between mass and weight because ... well ... I'm HN and I must, therefore, be correct.

Listen, if you have a look at post 61, you'll see I have sympathy with your implied view that the distinction is largely irrelevant to most people but, surely, it requires a level of arrogance unsurpassed on this forum to claim, as you have, that the kg has been defined, scientifically, as a unit of weight and then, when provided with a valid, reliable link which incontravertibly refutes your claim, to suggest: "Ah, well, yes, but the general public disagrees with the organisation which formulated the definition in the first place"!

Aaah, you're trolling ...

... must get used to this i-forum craziness

water is heavy so that the rain drops fall down

Reminds me of the time, early in my career I asked a Y9 class at a school, which shall remain nameless but is now an academy; "why do we have day and night?"

Answer:

"So we can get some sleep"

I have a question for you all to ponder on.

Why is it you can have a small amount of water in a container, but when thrown it appears there was always more water than originally thought to be there?

I.E child has a small amount of water in a beaker, yet turns into the river nile when emptied everywhere, or niagara falls when thrown?

I have a question for you all to ponder on.

Why is it you can have a small amount of water in a container, but when thrown it appears there was always more water than originally thought to be there?

I.E child has a small amount of water in a beaker, yet turns into the river nile when emptied everywhere, or niagara falls when thrown?

That'll be Leitch's Law of Small Child Omnipotence.

We have that in our house when the 18 month old is able to multiply pasta.

Archived