Triumph thruxton

Depends what you want it for. I rode a number of Triumphs when I was much younger and bought a s/h (modern) Thunderbird in 98.

I enjoyed the bike, but did experience more than one or two problems. There were one or two 'design questions' I should've thought carefully about before I bought it. It was a water-cooled bike ... but you had to remove the fuel tank to top up the coolant! Really clever.

That wasn't as difficult as it might have been, because one of the U-brackets which held the tank on fell off.

Adjusting the rear springs was a bit of a challenge ... there was no adjuster.

The chain broke (fortunately I didn't come off.)

The Sprag clutch failed. - Apparently that had been a coomon problem a few years previously. The Sprag tended to fail at about 9000 miles (roughly after 2-3 years.) Triumph had operated a 'free replacement' scheme but because my bike had been in storage for a couple of years before I bought it, although it broke at just under 9000 miles the bike was 5 years old and they weren't prepared to replace it.

My wife said: "That bike is causing you nothing but trouble! - Why don't you get another?" I was on the phone ordering one before the echo had died away. Some people swear by Triumphs; I spent a lot of time swearing at my last one.

• 11 months later...

Archived