The 2010 Emergency Budget thread

Is this government trying to push poor people into poverty? Being a lone parent who gets very little money as it is and struggles to pay my rent and buy food, Now that Child Benefit has been frozen for 3 years i will be suffering poverty without doubt, This could cost me my home as i already have to pay a substantial amount of rent out of the benefits i receive and no i cannot afford to pay a deposit on another property that would be cheaper in rent.

And before anyone starts saying 'get a job' i don't think i'm fit enough to work as i have several health issues.

It looks like you could be £1,300 pa worse off. :(

http://www.touchstoneblog.org.uk/2010/06/budget-2010-1293-a-year-income-cut-for-poorest-families-with-babies/#more-8201

In contrast whilst the LibDems got a sop on Capital Gains Tax, the loopholes remain open for tax avoidance such that up to £5million can easily be kept on a reduced 10% tax rate.

http://www.touchstoneblog.org.uk/2010/06/budget-any-gains-on-capital-gains-tax/#more-8234

Public sector workers get a pay freeze to put their pay further behind the private sectors....

It looks like typical Tory policies tax the poor to pay the rich.

Lets also be right, yes some swimming pools will shut, so what? I'd rather have a better funded NHS than have an opportunity to swim in a pool with nit laden chavs from Parson Cross.

NOt being controvertial, just stating a fact

I didn't know that chavs could swim, well you learn something every day on this forum. :rolleyes:

Lets also be right, yes some swimming pools will shut, so what? I'd rather have a better funded NHS than have an opportunity to swim in a pool with nit laden chavs from Parson Cross.

NOt being controvertial, just stating a fact

What about the people that need access to that pool because it is the best form of exercise for their health conditions? Cutting back on the pools will reduce their health thereby increasing costs on the NHS.

Guest sibon
the maths would be poor person buys 29 inch telly and pays x

rich person buys the same telly and pays x

the maths says VAT increases are perfectly fair.

If you look at it as how much they actually pay

the rich person buys more y

the poor person buys less y/10

the rich person is paying more towards public services that the poor person is more likely to use therefore it is disproportionate against the rich.

Im not saying Im right as I have no understanding of the fairness argument. Im saying the explanations were rubbish.

I've made no claims about fairness or otherwise.

The fact remains that the amount of VAT paid on an item by someone on a low income is proprtionately higher than that paid by someone on a high income. Which is why I said "disproportionately".

What about the people that need access to that pool because it is the best form of exercise for their health conditions? Cutting back on the pools will reduce their health thereby increasing costs on the NHS.

I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

If they want access to a swimming pool, use a pond.

If they want a swimming pool, then up the prices. I might want a porche careera turbo, but its simply not on the cards now is it? hence I drive a Renault Laguna

Lets cut paternity rights.

Lets be right, for one man to (alledgedly) be at home looking after his baby, another man has to do the work (without benefits like holidays) and the boss has to pick up the peaces, and the cost.

Lets also cut free bus passes, lets be right how many people on the dole get on a free bus, and then simply go to the pub in town, or sit in the peace gardens enjoying the sun. Loads, and its not on.

Come on Cameron, kick ass......:love:

Archived