The 2010 Emergency Budget thread

Public sector workers get a pay freeze to put their pay further behind the private sectors...
It would be helpful if Titanic99 and yourself were to consider the pension side of this salaried employment, relative to the private sector. Not many private sector employers contributing much at all these days, if anything (never mind 9+%).

So, let's use some context, shall we? And let's have some side-by-side comparisons as well, if you please.

My B-i-L's ex is DFEE, so is her new husband (both always have been, and no inheritance, windfall or extraordinary earnings of any sort). I'm not one to usually jump to conclusions based on appearances alone, but they drive a 09 Merc saloon and an 07 BMW Z4 and live in an upscale 4 bed detached with 3 kids. Can't be doing that bad on the public purse.

As regard pay freezes in the private sector, these have been happening on a mass scale throughout the nation since 2009.

I've made no claims about fairness or otherwise.

The fact remains that the amount of VAT paid on and item by someone on a low income is proprtionately higher than that paid by someone on a high income. Which is why I said "disproportionately".

Explain to me why people should pay more for a product just because of how much they earn?

Same product = same price for everyone regardless of income.

I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

If they want access to a swimming pool, use a pond.

If they want a swimming pool, then up the prices. I might want a porche careera turbo, but its simply not on the cards now is it? hence I drive a Renault Laguna

I'm not thinking that at all and neither are a lot of other people, especially those with a conscience that care about people, particularly the disadvantaged.

Explain to me why people should pay more for a product just because of how much they earn?

Same product = same price for everyone regardless of income.

Ah, but you see, for proponents of the Democratic Republic of South Yorkshire, earning more than an accepted 'norm' can only be indicative of past and/or current oppression and exploitation of fellow comrade workers.

God forbid you choose to upskill in your free time, rather than go down to the pub or to the football pitch, and better yourself and reap the rewards.

Go into the peace gardens now, how many benefit scroungers are enjoying the sunshine ????????

While you work, they enjoy the lovely weather. Benefits need the chop.

You're not doing your argument any favours. Last time I checked people in receipt of benefits don't have to wear any identifying markings about their person so there is no way you can possibly know a persons financial state.

I sat in the Peace Gardens earlier in a vest and shorts. It happens to be my day off. No doubt you saw me and assumed that I was "scrounging".

Yes the benefit system does need to be looked at but labelling all claimants as scroungers is pathetic and makes you sound foolish.

It would be helpful if Titanic99 and yourself were to consider the pension side of this salaried employment, relative to the private sector. Not many private sector employers contributing much at all these days, if anything (never mind 9+%).

So, let's use some context, shall we? And let's have some side-by-side comparisons as well, if you please.

My B-i-L's ex is DFEE, so is her new husband (both always have been, and no inheritance, windfall or extraordinary earnings of any sort). I'm not one to usually jump to conclusions based on appearances alone, but they drive a 09 Merc saloon and an 07 BMW Z4 and live in an upscale 4 bed detached with 3 kids. Can't be doing that bad on the public purse.

As regard pay freezes in the private sector, these have been happening on a mass scale throughout the nation since 2009.

Your B-i-L's ex has a good job and has no doubt worked for his cars and salary. A salary likely to be up to 20% less than he would receive in the private sector. As for pension, yes the public sector has a good pension, it is partly compensation for the low pay. It is however nothing like as good as some of the ones in the private sector and their 1/30th accrual rates like Digby Jones and his mates enjoy.

Where I work we have had 1% average pay deals for the last 3 years. The private sectors average pay deal last year was 2% and higher in the preceding years. Contrast that with Britain’s directors who have just pocketed an inflation busting increase of 7% , on top of a 22.5% hike in bonus payments....

The fact remains that the amount of VAT paid on and item by someone on a low income is proprtionately higher than that paid by someone on a high income. Which is why I said "disproportionately".

Only proportional to their own incomes. A person who earns £10k and spends £1000 on a new tv is spending 10% of their annual income, a person earing £100k buying the same tv is only spending 1% of their income.

So you have to ask, is it then wise of a person on a lower income to be buying the same product when it repesents such a higher proportion of their income, perhaps they should opt for a cheaper alternative.

Archived