The 2010 Emergency Budget thread

I think he is saying that as the private sector (most of which is not banking) has already been accepting pay freezes and redundancies, the public sector has to take its share.

I am so relieved that we are going to start paying all the money back and start living within our means!

You think wrong.

Over the last 12 months pay rises private sector 2%, public sector 1%.

http://www.businessmortgageprovider.com/http:/www.businessmortgageprovider.co.uk/wage-growth-rises-pay-freezes-fall-ids-12011.htm

Break out the champers. Take care with this one, SF is rife with examples of people in the private sector who have taken pay cuts and freezes just to stay in work, unlike the public sector.

Over the last decade Labour have been responsible for creating a public sector that is effective servitude labour with limited term contracts on minimum wage with few if any employment rights. It's exactly the opposite of what a responsible employer would do and not what we should expect of our government. Jobs that were once 'proper jobs' have been reduced to low wage fixed term contracts that offer no job security and no opportunity for people to progress their lives and with it the public sector have derogated the role of their staff to mere chattels.

Break out the champers. Take care with this one, SF is rife with examples of people in the private sector who have taken pay cuts and freezes just to stay in work, unlike the public sector.

Over the last decade Labour have been responsible for creating a public sector that is effective servitude labour with limited term contracts on minimum wage with few if any employment rights. It's exactly the opposite of what a responsible employer would do and not what we should expect of our government. Jobs that were once 'proper jobs' have been reduced to low wage fixed term contracts that offer no job security and no opportunity for people to progress their lives and with it the public sector have derogated the role of their staff to mere chattels.

True, and bizarrely there seem to be plenty of people around who think this is to be celebrated. Apparently, the point is to have the worst wages and employment conditions possible. Therein lies happiness.

Tony, envy is an ugly emotion especially when combined with ignorance.

With 3 years with an average pay rise of 1% and 3 more to come on 0% whilst taking job cuts of 20%, and 25% more to come we in the public sector have been so privileged haven't we. :rolleyes:

Guest sibon

Tony. this post needs lots of explanation. Do me a favour dear chap and answer some questions:

1. How have you developed such an intimate knowledge of the workings of the public sector?

2. Which public sector jobs have few employment rights?

3. Do the private sector attempt to erode employment rights when they deem it advatageous?

4. What proportion of public sector jobs have derogated the role of their staff to mere chattels?

You see, I don't recognise your description in my day to day public sector experience. I work with quite a few ex-private sector professionals, more and more as the recession bites. They tell me that the work that they are doing now is both difficult and rewarding.

You appear to be speaking from a different orifice to the one that you usually use.

only thing i can add my local radio station said that this emergency budget would put 100,000 people out of work and the cost of keeping them would cost more than they have saved in the budget???? so polotics havent changed, my view is that if this budget is anything to go by then its earners of 20k to 40k who will suffer, all i can say is its those who voted this party in, it was a dig at the unemployed, looks like its backfired who knows!!!

With 3 years with an average pay rise of 1% and 3 more to come on 0% whilst taking job cuts of 20%, and 25% more to come we in the public sector have been so privileged haven't we. :rolleyes:

Many public sector workers in Sheffield got 0.5% last year and were this year being offered 0.4% (that is of course before Osborne decided this was ridiculously high)! And lets not forget that by Cameron's own admission anything below inflation is a pay cut.

Guest sibon
Wildcat, Sibon, you both appear to be confused on this topic. Perhaps you have priviledged positions.

Hi Tony.

Thanks for your detailed answers to my questions.

I'm sure there will be no cutting back in the Parliament wine cellar though, almost £18,000 has been spent in the last 3 weeks topping it up to its current value of £864,000.

Of course we are "all in it together"

You of course mean the Government hospitality wine cellar. Calling it the Parliament wine cellar might lead some to believe that is was there for the benefit of Parliament and MPs. The wine cellar is maintained for government functions for foreign dignitaries etc. It is generally considered more hospitable to provide wine for these functions than to run around afterwards giving each guest a bill.

The House of commons on the other hand does provide catering and bar facilities for members, but of course they are required to pay for both food and any wine they might consume. The bars and restaurants employ a number of people and turn in a healthy profit, so it appears that tax payers get a pretty good deal from it.

Archived