The best way to deal with neighbours.

I'd point out to them that, unfortunately that's the downside of living in a terrace/semi-detached house. if they want perfect peace and quiet they will need to invest in a detached house!

That is very true, or if they can't afford that perhaps a small detached bungalow, noise does travel and children do shout - perhaps this lady is lonely and feels it more when she can hear the people next door enjoying herself, she might still be grieving for her husband - perhaps you could find out and if so, have some chatty conversations with her.

That is very true, or if they can't afford that perhaps a small detached bungalow, noise does travel and children do shout - perhaps this lady is lonely and feels it more when she can hear the people next door enjoying herself, she might still be grieving for her husband - perhaps you could find out and if so, have some chatty conversations with her.
read the op again ;)

the old lady alone lived in the house the op will be occupying - she's long gone

Have a house warming party, just a gentle one , and invite them !

My friends did that when they first moved in. They had a nice bbq with a few friends and parents etc. The neighbours declined the offer.

I get the feeling that they keep themselves to themselves unless they have a request about volume levels.

I think Im going to be nice and polite to them but I wont pander to their wishes if its unreasonable. Ill also keep a log if it gets too constricting.

Noise in an inevitable part of life. If they want to live in silence, they should go live in a monastery!

The fact that your friends have bowed to their demands doesn't make it easy on you, but doesn't alter the fact that you are allowed to make a reasonable amount of noise.

I get the impression that the council would laugh at them if they complained.

So don't worry! The worst thing that will happen is that you're not friends with them.

Noise in an inevitable part of life. If they want to live in silence, they should go live in a monastery!

The fact that your friends have bowed to their demands doesn't make it easy on you, but doesn't alter the fact that you are allowed to make a reasonable amount of noise.

I get the impression that the council would laugh at them if they complained.

So don't worry! The worst thing that will happen is that you're not friends with them.

No I sha'nt worry. I think I just needed some impartial advice, back up if you will. The houses are private, so there will be no risk of the council kicking anyone out.

If they complain about the TV, invite them round and sit them down to demonstrate how it sounds inside.

At least you're not like a neighbour we used to have who put their TV in the conservatory in the summer and watched it with the doors open day an night.

Guest sibon
No I sha'nt worry. I think I just needed some impartial advice, back up if you will. The houses are private, so there will be no risk of the council kicking anyone out.

Whatever you do, start as you mean to go on. Set your telly to the level that you want. Have a sunday afternoon barbie. Set your own parameters for reasonable noise levels and explain them to your neighbours when they inevitably complain.

Do invite the neighbours to the party.

If you are reasonable and don't make excessive noise, I guess that they will probably get used to it.

If they don't, just send their complaints back and ignore them.

Archived