Why are people so obsessed with getting a suntan?

I have never understood the compulsion of so many people to make themselves look tanned. I see people who go and stand outside at the very first sign of sun and hold a mirror up to their neck so they get tanned all over. People go on holiday and do nothing but lie in the sun just to 'work on the tan'. Really, what's the appeal?

What's even worse to me is fake tans. Many people seem to think that spending hours in what looks like a sandwich toaster just to make their skin look slightly more brown is actually a worthwhile way to spend their spare time. :huh:

I really don't get it. Can someone please enlighten me?

I have never understood the compulsion of so many people to make themselves look tanned. I see people who go and stand outside at the very first sign of sun and hold a mirror up to their neck so they get tanned all over. People go on holiday and do nothing but lie in the sun just to 'work on the tan'. Really, what's the appeal?

What's even worse to me is fake tans. Many people seem to think that spending hours in what looks like a sandwich toaster just to make their skin look slightly more brown is actually a worthwhile way to spend their spare time. :huh:

I really don't get it. Can someone please enlighten me?

over tanned people always make me think of tangerines :D

personaly have never used a sun bed, never had a spray tan and never used fake tan (as such!) i use a tinted moisteriser a few times in summer just so im not scary type white and the odd bit of bronzer on my face when getting dolled up for a night out.

i really don't think the david dickinson look is attractive, and as for the girls with orange hands from there fake tan ............ blurgh :gag: looks so dirty

Maybe they want to die of cancer?

Seriously tho, I can't understand it either. Why bother going to a different country with so much to see, do and visit, only to lie on a beach and get burned?

Shallow individuals.

over tanned people always make me think of tangerines :D

personaly have never used a sun bed, never had a spray tan and never used fake tan (as such!) i use a tinted moisteriser a few times in summer just so im not scary type white and the odd bit of bronzer on my face when getting dolled up for a night out.

i really don't think the david dickinson look is attractive, and as for the girls with orange hands from there fake tan ............ blurgh :gag: looks so dirty

My bold

Even this I cannot understand. Why are you afraid of looking your normal colour? What's so wrong with the colour of your skin that you feel you need to change it?

My bold

Even this I cannot understand. Why are you afraid of looking your normal colour? What's so wrong with the colour of your skin that you feel you need to change it?

it just takes the patchy purple corned beef look away without actually looking tanned if that makes sense>

the other thing is i find the hair folicules on my legs appear red specialy the day ive shaved them so it covers this up a little as well

i have no problem with my body being white (i'm a red head i have no choice lol) but when my legs are scary white it make every little vein,hair folicule, stretch mark, scar scratch pop out as if 3d

I love having a bit of colour - it makes me feel so much better. I think my summer clothes look a lot micer with a light tan. My skin is naturally very pale & I don't tan at all so I don't bother sitting for hours in the sun. Instead I use a tinted moisturiser like Johnsons.

I have never understood the compulsion of so many people to make themselves look tanned. I see people who go and stand outside at the very first sign of sun and hold a mirror up to their neck so they get tanned all over.

[some] People spend vast amounts of cash to change their appearance with clothing, cosmetic surgery etc, perhaps to fit the perception that they have to 'what looks good'. I can't really back this up with anything other than my opinion, which is that people associate that being 'pale' with not looking healthy. The sun is free, and it's a way for people to change how they look, and make themselves think [whether rightly, or wrongly] that they look better.

People go on holiday and do nothing but lie in the sun just to 'work on the tan'. Really, what's the appeal?

What's even worse to me is fake tans. Many people seem to think that spending hours in what looks like a sandwich toaster just to make their skin look slightly more brown is actually a worthwhile way to spend their spare time. :huh:I really don't get it. Can someone please enlighten me?

Hmmm. I think that people go on holiday for whatever reason they wish [i.e. relaxing, doing sod all type holiday/ sightseeing/ adventure etc]. Since tanning is synonymous with lazying about doing very little, that would explain the first type of holiday, and has the addition of making one feel like they look better.

My bold

I don't think it's afraid is it? Self confidence is just one aspect or issue, with regards to our extremely complex human behaviour. Looking good seems quite a simple issue, in this complex issue that many of us find important. :)

(not me, I might add, I'm a reight tramp:hihi:)

People go on holiday and do nothing but lie in the sun just to 'work on the tan'. Really, what's the appeal?

Maybe part of it is also because lying in the sun and feeling it warm you through is pleasurable (assuming you're not burning!), and not something we get to do very often in the UK. Sun-kissed skin smells lovely too :) Some people find it healing (although it can, of course, be cancer-promoting) as the heat relaxes your muscles.

I love having a tan - it makes you look slimmer and healthier, which in turn makes you feel more confident and happier.

I have a summer holiday each year and yes the sun factor is a big part of it (I don't understand people who do winter sports in August!) but I think it's more so I can feel the heat, than to get a tan. Then again i'm quite lucky that I can sit in the Egyptian shade all holiday and still come back looking like a local..

Archived