Why are people so obsessed with getting a suntan?

over tanned people always make me think of tangerines :D

personaly have never used a sun bed, never had a spray tan and never used fake tan (as such!) i use a tinted moisteriser a few times in summer just so im not scary type white and the odd bit of bronzer on my face when getting dolled up for a night out.

i really don't think the david dickinson look is attractive, and as for the girls with orange hands from there fake tan ............ blurgh :gag: looks so dirty

I think you answered the OP's question there.

Have just invested in my usual summer spray on tan, otherwise my legs look like uncooked chicken drumsticks wearing shoes.

As for my face, the term "death warmed up" has been used in the past!!

So yes I prefer to be (fake) tanned, but cannot sit in the sun ....2 weeks in Egypt, I looked like I have had 2 weeks in Clacton....my 2 boys are the same, very fair skinned whereas my daughter looks at the sun and turns a lovely colour, but is very aware of it's dangers - and therefore nicks my fake tan !!

Monkey see, monkey do I guess. 'Celebrities' and magazines tell women that tanned is beautiful, so that's what they do.

Well I have to agree. A tanned body is very appealing. I'm not so sure it's all down to media and celebrities however. A lot of women feel more confident with a tan.

it's all associated with perceptions of wealth.

in Asia paler skin, is the more highly prized. It means you've escaped working out on the fields all day. Hence rocket sales of stupid 'skin whitening' products.

here in western Europe, the situation is reversed. Suddenly wealth is associated, not with pale skin, which in less developed and hot countries means you've managed to get a job in an airconditioned office and thus escaping the ferocity of the sun, but with darker skin, which means you are rich enough regularly get on aeroplanes and go somewhere where it is sunny all the time. The number of people in the world who want to make the colour of their skin paler, or whiter, rather than darker, is much more.

Peaches and cream complexion is much more attractive than a deep tan imo, I only go a light gold colour anyway and then it's usually time to come home, my sister lives in Spain, has an olive skin so can easily get a deep tan. I get bored sunbathing and prefer to get a little colour moving around in the sun. Fake tans look just that unless done professionally and that orange or leathery look is terrible.

Sun tans are so 1950s, now just about every Herbert can have one so there's not much point. I mean, you don't want to be like everyone else do you, otherwise you might as well jump in the sea and drown.

Sun tans are so 1950s, now just about every Herbert can have one so there's not much point. I mean, you don't want to be like everyone else do you, otherwise you might as well jump in the sea and drown.

Can't see what that would achieve and if they all opted for the alternative they'd still be the same.

Archived