Basement bars in the Steel City

E-Man Groovin

8) Nah Den Ace.......

Does anybody remember a boozer on Shude Hill, where the new hotel is. I think it was called "The Barrow Boy". You used to get loads of skin'eads in in the early 80s.

Not strictly a basement bar, as you could walk in from street level; but it was well dark and dingy!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

8) Nah Den Ace........

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Was that under a railway or road bridge with a door in the wall?

Yeah, if you go from the Penny Black, past the Royal Mail, towards the markets......Commercial Street runs over your head and the Barrow Boys used to be on your left hand side.

Aren't all doors in the wall!?! I know what you mean though....yes it was! Check it out here

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

Some of my favourite bars in the place that I used to live in before Sheffield, were all underground basement joints (e.g. Chinawhite, Che, Quaglinos etc). I used to like them because of the subterranean, away-from-it-all vibe. I've just noticed that there don't seem to be any smoky downstairs dives in Sheffield. Or maybe I just haven't found em yet?

Can anyone help me make some new discoveries..?

Zeddy

chinawhites eh? int that a bit VIP, like the funky buddah is now? i don't think theres anywhere for special people - i mean i've blagged my way into VIP mingdom and republic/GC1 nuff times and i'm a nobody.

we could do with a bar rhumba type place in sheff tho. like a smaller urban-vibed casbah, open all week.

Originally posted by tinajones

chinawhites eh? int that a bit VIP, like the funky buddah is now? i don't think theres anywhere for special people - i mean i've blagged my way into VIP mingdom and republic/GC1 nuff times and i'm a nobody.

we could do with a bar rhumba type place in sheff tho. like a smaller urban-vibed casbah, open all week.

Tina,

Yeah Chinawhites was A-list, but I used to be fairly connected when I was in London (all my posh friends disowned me when I said I was moving to Sheffield...)

However Sheffield does need what you suggest. And may I propose that TJ and the Z-Man could actually make it happen. You know where the Private Message button is... let's discuss!

Zeddy

Archived