Why are people so ignorant towards deaf people?

I have recently found out Im going deaf and have found it really frustrating and annoying how ignorant people can be when communicating with deaf people. For instance some people constantly mutter and mumble instead of speaking clearly some dont look at you when they are talking to you, so you can't hear what they are saying. Then when you tell people you are deaf they start shouting at you thinking that helps you to hear them better.:rant::loopy:

Well it doesn't it just distorts your voice further. Its also amazing how bad an attitude people have when you ask them to repeat something, you get responses including tutting and sighing, treating you as though you are stupid or giving you dirty looks. None of these things help. If you just speak clear and look at the person you are communicating with, this helps more.

Its not like I want to spend all my time saying what or pardon and getting people to repeat what I have said and I never thought I would go deaf at my age.:rant::loopy:

So please be more considerate and less ignorant when communicating with people.:)

I have recently found out Im going deaf and have found it really frustrating and annoying how ignorant people can be when communicating with deaf people. For instance some people constantly mutter and mumble instead of speaking clearly some dont look at you when they are talking to you, so you can't hear what they are saying. Then when you tell people you are deaf they start shouting at you thinking that helps you to hear them better.:rant::loopy:

Well it doesn't it just distorts your voice further. Its also amazing how bad an attitude people have when you ask them to repeat something, you get responses including tutting and sighing, treating you as though you are stupid or giving you dirty looks. None of these things help. If you just speak clear and look at the person you are communicating with, this helps more.

Its not like I want to spend all my time saying what or pardon and getting people to repeat what I have said and I never thought I would go deaf at my age.:rant::loopy:

So please be more considerate and less ignorant when communicating with people.:)

Some people are just plain old horrid im afraid, i personally take extra time and patience when communicating with deaf people i mean an extra 5 mins wont hurt owt will it. when i used to work on a counter in a cafe i used to serve a lot of deaf people it was hard at first i learnt if i gave them my full attention and spoke slowly, clearly and calmly then we got along great and id manage to get their food and drink order sorted and we even had a bit of a joke and a giggle at the till :D

Some people are just plain old horrid im afraid, i personally take extra time and patience when communicating with deaf people i mean an extra 5 mins wont hurt owt will it. when i used to work on a counter in a cafe i used to serve a lot of deaf people it was hard at first i learnt if i gave them my full attention and spoke slowly, clearly and calmly then we got along great and id manage to get their food and drink order sorted and we even had a bit of a joke and a giggle at the till :D

Exactly, some people must be so important and have such a busy life that they cant spare 5 mins to communicate effectively. Im glad to hear there are people who do take the small amount of extra time needed.:)

When I worked in a pub, there was a group of deaf people who came in every now and then. I knew they were deaf because they were using sign language to converse with each other.

Sometimes I thought they were easier to serve than the other customers! I'd just maintain eye contact while I spoke to them and use gestures if necessary. With the music being loud, I'd end up doing that anyway.

Ignorant is being used as a pejorative term in the OP, but it's probably strangely accurate.

If someone hasn't realised that you have a hearing problem, then looking away from you whilst speaking is hardly deliberate is it.

And again, when they are told, they don't deliberately make it difficult by shouting, they believe that it helps. It's literally ignorance of how they can help you understand. Which is to be expected if they don't regularly interact with deaf people.

Why do people believe shouting helps though, I was brought up to be told that it doesn't and have always tried my best not to shout at deaf people but then I guess im used to it as I have relatives who are deaf.

Ignorant is being used as a pejorative term in the OP, but it's probably strangely accurate.

If someone hasn't realised that you have a hearing problem, then looking away from you whilst speaking is hardly deliberate is it.

And again, when they are told, they don't deliberately make it difficult by shouting, they believe that it helps. It's literally ignorance of how they can help you understand. Which is to be expected if they don't regularly interact with deaf people.

I wasnt using the term ignorant to be disparaging or belittling, so please don't try and make out that I am being ignorant:roll::loopy:

I understand what you are saying about the looking away and shouting. It is the attitude of people that annoys me more with the dirty looks, rolling eyes, sighing, tutting and exagerated speech to make it look as though im stupid and thick when I ask them to repeat something. This to me shows an ignorant attitude from them.

I have to laugh, being hard of hearing born to deaf parents, I've been brought up with it.

My dad may he rest in peace, used to look at people as though they were mental when they suddenly change the way they talk, some people shout, some people start talking slowly, he used to start talking back to them slowly with something like "IIIIIII'mmmm deeeeafff nooooott daaaaaffftt".

Or if they shouted he'd start shouting back, when they go "why are you shouting, I'm not deaf", me dad would respond with "well why are you shouting at me, I am deaf, bellow all you want, still can't hear you".

I didn't suggest that you were being ignorant. Maybe you're just fixated on the word.

I agree that the latter forms of behaviour aren't nice. Presumably it's a small minority of people that behave like that though, these people are probably rude to everyone though, not just to the deaf.

I didn't suggest that you were being ignorant. Maybe you're just fixated on the word.

I agree that the latter forms of behaviour aren't nice. Presumably it's a small minority of people that behave like that though, these people are probably rude to everyone though, not just to the deaf.

I wish it as a small minority of people.

Archived