Why are people so ignorant towards deaf people?

I wasnt using the term ignorant to be disparaging or belittling, so please don't try and make out that I am being ignorant:roll::loopy:

I understand what you are saying about the looking away and shouting. It is the attitude of people that annoys me more with the dirty looks, rolling eyes, sighing, tutting and exagerated speech to make it look as though im stupid and thick when I ask them to repeat something. This to me shows an ignorant attitude from them.

The three phrases that get on my nerves more than the eye rolling/tutting/dirty looks are:-

1) Well maybe if you listened harder, you'd hear what I'm saying. (by the ignorant)

Well maybe if you told the cars/choppers/hoovers/kids/busses to stop making as much noise I'd be able to listen harder and hear you, but whilst their at it, no chance, talk to me or talk to the wall choice is yours.

2) I'm sorry --and then repeat what they said-- (normally by people that are not so ignorant)

Stop saying sorry, what you got to be sorry for? wasting my time the first time by not speaking clearly or loudly enough.

If you was sorry you'd learn sign language.

3) Are you deaf or summat? (meant as an insult towards hearing people)

This makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, can't stand it, seen it applied to two deaf people in my time, once in a pub, where a bloke used it to attack a women.

And once when me dad was collecting money for charity dressed as a clown and this guy was stood about 20 ft behind him, asking him for the time.

Every step he's going "excuse me got the time", as he gets closer its "oi, oi, I'm asking you a question", prods harshly in the back of the shoulders "are you deaf or summat", me dad shows him the hearing aids and says "no just I wear these as a fashion statement, would you like to make a donation for disabled children".

The three phrases that get on my nerves more than the eye rolling/tutting/dirty looks are:-

1) Well maybe if you listened harder, you'd hear what I'm saying. (by the ignorant)

Well maybe if you told the cars/choppers/hoovers/kids/busses to stop making as much noise I'd be able to listen harder and hear you, but whilst their at it, no chance, talk to me or talk to the wall choice is yours.

2) I'm sorry --and then repeat what they said-- (normally by people that are not so ignorant)

Stop saying sorry, what you got to be sorry for? wasting my time the first time by not speaking clearly or loudly enough.

If you was sorry you'd learn sign language.

3) Are you deaf or summat? (meant as an insult towards hearing people)

This makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, can't stand it, seen it applied to two deaf people in my time, once in a pub, where a bloke used it to attack a women.

And once when me dad was collecting money for charity dressed as a clown and this guy was stood about 20 ft behind him, asking him for the time.

Every step he's going "excuse me got the time", as he gets closer its "oi, oi, I'm asking you a question", prods harshly in the back of the shoulders "are you deaf or summat", me dad shows him the hearing aids and says "no just I wear these as a fashion statement, would you like to make a donation for disabled children".

I think this is quite harsh. If you ask someone to repeat something and they say Im sorry and repeat it they are apologising for not being clear-ie being polite. Alternatively they are using sorry instead of excuse me. Either way they would often say this to someone who can hear.

I didn't suggest that you were being ignorant. Maybe you're just fixated on the word.

I agree that the latter forms of behaviour aren't nice. Presumably it's a small minority of people that behave like that though, these people are probably rude to everyone though, not just to the deaf.

I think sometimes with me at work they just forget im hard of hearing ,as they are used to it and i just get used to people walking away whilst still talking to me.It is frustrating as some do think your thick etc.

you'd be surprised. i have bad eyes, am blind in one and not very good in the other, without my glasses. when i was younger i often had to have drops put in my 'good' eye that made my vision very blurred for the rest of the day even if i wore my glasses.

the number of times i asked people for help to see things, ie prices in shops, and they would start shouting at me and being more pronounced in their speech!

i did actually reply with - im blind, not deaf!

also once i had a customer at work who approached me on my left side, and stood waiting for me to acknowledge them as thats the eye i cant see out of i didnt acknowledge them as i didnt even know they were there. he gave me a right earful about being ignorant and bad customer service! when he rudely and sarcastically asked if i was blind, i could only reply with 'yes, in my left eye so i cannot see to the left'. i apologised for the fact that he thought that i was ignorant but reminded him that if he desires someones attention it may be politer to say 'excuse me' in future. never seen anyone go so red in my life!

I know exactly what you mean with those comments digsy. Just been for moulds doing for my first hearing aids today, so hopefully things should get better once I get them.

My husband has hearing aids but won't wear them because of all the background noises you hear, I suppose there not easy to get use to. anyhow he drives me mad when I have to repeat myself, he does say it sounds as though people are mumbling all the time, but still won't put them in, so it's WHAT! WHAT! all the time :hihi:

I think this is quite harsh. If you ask someone to repeat something and they say Im sorry and repeat it they are apologising for not being clear-ie being polite. Alternatively they are using sorry instead of excuse me. Either way they would often say this to someone who can hear.

I know, it's one of those things in life that's really annoying. I shouldn't let it get to me really, as you say, it's people being polite.

Archived