Bought a duff car, where do I stand?

If you get more than three or four years from a battery treat it as a bonus.

I bought a brand new one from Halfords a few years ago (£45) that failed to hold charge.

I've now got one on that I paid £10 from a scrapyard for, and it's at least 7 years old, and still going strong:thumbsup:.

I bought a brand new one from Halfords a few years ago (£45) that failed to hold charge.

I've now got one on that I paid £10 from a scrapyard for, and it's at least 7 years old, and still going strong:thumbsup:.

I had mine replaced by the RAC at a petrol station - car ran absolutely fine with no starting problems at all, then just would not start all of a sudden. My previous car did the same- at home though, fortunately. The 'more than four years is a bonus' thing came from what the RAC guy told me.

Apologies for not being clearer. The tyres were bald when i bought it but only came to my attention when I had it MOT'd back in November last year, One of the tyres was the spare. i haven't had the car serviced yet as it isn't due a service. The faults that have developed on the car have done so since i bought it with the first one being the engine cutting out. this happened back in april last year. I have driven the car around since buying it but since november last year when the gearbox started playing up it was stood in a garage for 2 months and is now stood on my drive, Used once a week to take my son to school. we have since borrowed another car from my father in law. The journey to my son's school is less than 4 miles round trip. I barely use it only when needs must. the engine light has been on since april last year. We had a cam sensor replaced on it at the time but the light came back on after a couple of weeks. The car is currently sat dead on our drive as there is some battery drain somewhere too. And so i'm not trying to get something for nothing, Simply trying to get what I paid for. Clearly the car is not fit for purpose cos I've not been able to drive it for the last 6 months, But like I said, I think that it is not of satisfactory quality and not worth what i paid for it.

The gearbox fault is the car jerks forward as if being hit from behind, quite violently. then the car goes into 'limp home mode' Where you have limited power and the car won't change gear. The check gearbox light comes on. I have been advised not to drive it until I've had it replaced. But surely a car that has done less than 30000 miles shouldn't be having these problems? Especially since it was serviced 2 days before I bought it? (it's an automatic btw)

it's a megane

The Megane is the worst car I have ever owned. I had a 51 plate which was constantly in and out of Reg Vardy's. The dealers are a complete joke. I should get it sold and stay clear of anything French. French cars tend to go into self destruct mode once they reach 3 years old. Take a look round, how many classic French cars do you see?

Sorry about wht must seem to be a never ending pain in the ass. Unfortunately - the perosn buying the car should have checked the tyres. its easy to scrub a new tyre to illegal within a few weeks if pressures, tracking etc isn't correct.

Servicing should be an annual event - handbooks state miles or months whichever is first.

I service both our cars annually and neither do 6000 in a year..

And finally WHO is giving all the advice i.e not to drive etc. They should be identifying the solution not hinting at avoiding the problems. A replacement box is an expensive item if it isn't needed.

I'm sorry, but you're saying that you had the car from Feb 2009, and only noticed the tyres were bald in Nov 2009!

It's up to you to make sure the car is roadworthy at all times. Thetyres might have been legal in Feb, how much mileage have you put on the car since buying it?

I notice you state that one of the bald tyres is the spare, well I'm sorry but there is no legal requirement to even carry a spare tyre, and it isn't checked as part of the MOT.

As other posters have said , the battery / brakes are wear and tear items.

You might have some recourse re the engine management light, but really you have left it a little too late.

It would appear that the gearbox problem only started in November, so I'm afraid that's down to you to pay to have repaired.

Your best bet might be to get in touch with the finance company and let them have the car back.

Chalk it down to one of lifes little lessons.

Ive lost track with the dates but the car will be (over)due a service if youve had it 16months.

How many miles have you done, you say you bought it with 13k, in your last post you say it has under 30k on it?

The battery will lose charge if its just sat on a drive (and its a consumable)

If the tyres were bald when you bought it why did you not see this? It hardly takes a qualified mechanic to look at some tyres.

Has the ATF level been checked? Start with the simple stuff.

If checking fluid levels is beyond you/your partner/a friend then that leaves three choices.

A) stick to the bus

B) Run the risk of being ripped off

C) Learn how to check the basics

Apologies for not being clearer. The tyres were bald when i bought it but only came to my attention when I had it MOT'd back in November last year, One of the tyres was the spare.

How do you know they were bald when you bought it? The spare may have been but AFAIK that isn't an MOT item.

i haven't had the car serviced yet as it isn't due a service.

Aren't the services 18,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is sooner? Regardless, if the engine management light comes on, take it to a garage. All cars have things go wrong sometimes.

the engine light has been on since april last year. We had a cam sensor replaced on it at the time but the light came back on after a couple of weeks.

One sensor failure can cause others to fail. Or the cam sensor might just have a loose connection (i.e. not been fitted properly)? If you've not had it looked at and have been driving it with sensor errors for 14 out of the 16 months you've had it, I'm not surprised it's knackered.

The car is currently sat dead on our drive as there is some battery drain somewhere too. Clearly the car is not fit for purpose cos I've not been able to drive it for the last 6 months,

The alarm? If you've not used any car for 6 months I'd expect the battery to be dead.

The gearbox fault is the car jerks forward as if being hit from behind, quite violently. then the car goes into 'limp home mode' Where you have limited power and the car won't change gear. The check gearbox light comes on.

I'd find out what's up with the engine first. It might be the engine running erratically - as it will with sensor errors - that is causing occasional power changes that the gearbox cannot handle. It may be that by driving it with the engine errors you have knackered the gearbox. You can't go anywhere - even back to The Car People - without getting someone to read the fault codes and find out exactly what is wrong with it.

I know what is wrong with the car, i have invoices and reports to that effect. All i wanted was some advice as to where I stand legally. Trading standards say i have a case but they won't act on my behalf, basically I have to do it myself. The Car People have admitted that if i had brought the car into them as and when the faults occured then they would have fixed it as they are excessive but they're unwilling to do anything about it now. The finance company have said I can reject the car but this means losing money and having no car. The car isn't due a service for another 1500 miles. It is all computerised and it tells you when it wants to be serviced. It has been to the garage and been repaired several times at cost to me. It's barely been driven since November last year and that's how long I have been battling it out. I have also got a list of fault codes as long as my arm!

Archived