Bought a duff car, where do I stand?

If its been "repaired" and still shows the same faults then the repair garage is at fault.

My cars computerised for it's servicing - the warning symbol is on now yet it isn't due a service for 6000 miles(officially) so one of them is incorrect.

Like I said, I just wanted some advice on my next move not the condition of my car. I haven't gone into much detail on here as it would take me all day I was just trying to give a background into my situation and wondered if anyone had had similar problems when buying something they're not happy with and what they did. I don't want to discuss the state of the car or it's numerous faults. It has been in and out of the garage several times and I've had the AA out to it several times. All I wanted was some advice. I probably made a mistake by not getting the car properly checked out before I bought it but I have never had problems in the past so I guess now I'll learn by experience. Again I just wanted advice from anyone who has dealt with this sort of problem, trading standards or finance companies.

Like I said, I just wanted some advice on my next move not the condition of my car. I haven't gone into much detail on here as it would take me all day I was just trying to give a background into my situation and wondered if anyone had had similar problems when buying something they're not happy with and what they did. I don't want to discuss the state of the car or it's numerous faults. It has been in and out of the garage several times and I've had the AA out to it several times. All I wanted was some advice. I probably made a mistake by not getting the car properly checked out before I bought it but I have never had problems in the past so I guess now I'll learn by experience. Again I just wanted advice from anyone who has dealt with this sort of problem, trading standards or finance companies.

But it all depends on what is wrong with the car. If you can't tell us, we can't help - and nor can anyone else.

In which case we'll all tell you the same thing probably - you haven't got a leg to stand on re: Car People, fiannce compay or Trading Standards as they don't have a case to answer.

Which is why we were trying to reassure you that potentially the faults could be rectified.

Ok, So I bought a car from The car people in February 2009. It had only done 13000 miles when I bought it and I paid just under £5000 for it. It came with a 30 day warranty/guarantee. Just under 2 months after driving it away things have started going wrong with it. The list is endless and amounts to approx £4000 in repairs. So far this is what has gone wrong

Gear box

Engine management light permanently on

Engine cutting out

Stop warning lights coming on whenever I go up a hill, down a hill, round a corner, set off at a roundabout.

2 electric windows not working

Airbag light on

Grinding behind steering wheel (i'm told this is an airbag clock that has snapped which has caused the airbags to be disabled)

2 bald tyres

Needs new brake pads and shoes

New battery

and various other things, Too many to list. I know some of these are wear and tear but alot of them are electrical faults or linked to the engine management.

The car people have basically told me it's tough and that I should have bought an extended warranty. trading standards are looking into it for me but I don't hold out much hope and the finance company have asked me if I want to refinance and buy another car. What do I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm just getting pushed from pillar to post by various different people and no-one is admitting responsibility for the state of this car.

If you can prove the problems were there when you bought the car you can actually reject the vehicle upto 3 years after the date you purchased it weather it be a garage or a private sale and the words "SOLD AS SEEN" are not valid words to put for them to pull a fast one. They don;t mean anything. I had this problem, i got in touch with trading standards but you could also seek legal advice from a solicitor most do a 1/2 hour free consultation

But half the "problems" you have quoted are due to consumable items.

If you arent clear on what the "faults" are (ie geniune failed components or down to poor maintenance) then nobody can offer any clear advice thats worth anything.

Archived