Bring back fox hunting

Just been looking at the photographs in todays paper of the twins that were bitten by a fox in there home,thankfully no signs of the life changing mauling of the face that the papers were going on about.Just bandages on the arms.

What seems strange to me is why more foxes kept going back th the parents house time and time again,I suspect they had been feeding and encouraging them and are now frightened to admit it.

They aren't banned for doing anything wrong - they are banned because they are a threat. (well that is the reasoning behind the ban, not entirely true of course)

a fox is a threat therefore should be exterminated like rats and mice

I don't think we should ever have banned fox hunting. It may have developed into a "sport" but it's done for a reason. Perhaps all the townies who voted to ban it might start to change their minds when their back garden chickens and cats are killed or taken.
Why would we do that? If i had a fox problem, I'd set traps, poison or beat it with a blunt stick myself-that way I might even get a decent meal out of it. The fox implicated in the previous attack on a child was caught within 24 hours, without the intervention of liveried idiots on horseback.

Yep! I'll vote for that.

But seriously, the fox is hunting on instinct. It's not doing it for fun or out of malice, it's doing what it's programmed to do. It's unfortunate, but it's one of those things. It's called nature.

The fox has only one natural predator in the UK - the Golden Eagle. It has lost its other predator - Man. Man is not a predator in the sense that it killed foxes as prey, but was nevertheless a predator which surely had some effect on the size of the country's fox population.

The fox has one or two other enemies - both of which pose a serious threat to humans. Fortunately, the UK doesn't have Rabies (and hopefully that scourge will stay away.) I'm not aware whether the UK has 'fox tapeworm' (Fuchsbandwurm)(Echinococcus multilocularis) but if the number of foxes increases, then presumably the risk of infection from that (very nasty) parasite will increase, too.

I'm neither 'pro' fox hunting nor am I avidly 'anti' fox hunting. I have no interest in dressing up, getting on a horse and riding around (until I fall off - Which wouldn't take too long.)

Congregating in groups, dressing up, performing arcane ceremonies whilst making lots of noise (and often getting phished, too ;)) is a common pastime in the UK and elsewhere (look at what people are doing in Southern Africa.)

I'm aware that many people in rural communities made at least a part of their living out of fox hunting; now that that source of income has been denied them, it's perhaps reasonable to assume that they are no longer having any controlling effect on the rural fox population.

With no predators, the rural population is likely to increase. Competition for food will increase. Is that not likely to cause an increase in the Urban fox population?

Perhaps DEFRA (The Department for the Elimination of Farming and Rural Affairs) doesn't only have an adverse effect on farmers, but also has an adverse effect on other creatures who live in the countryside?

Perhaps there should be a fox cull. The government doesn't have any money, the rural community no longer makes any money from fox-hunting and probably doesn't have a lot to spare, so maybe those responsible for banning fox hunting could be asked to pay for (and carry out) the cull?

reports in the news today another child attacked by fox if they hadnt banned hunting them we wouldnt be riddled with them and they wouldnt be attacking people/children

Foxes have been coming into cities since well before the ban.

Fox hunting has no effect on urban fox populations, it does help to disperse rural populations though.

Fox hunts have in the past bred foxes so they can hunt them, so your argument that hunts control numbers is shot to pieces really.

Nice effort though, 7/10

Archived