Bring back fox hunting

I guess from the fox's point of view, caught in trap, is about the same, as hunted down by dogs and beaten to death (or whatever it is they do).

If I was a wild animal - and if I was capable of making the decision - I think I would probably prefer to die by being hunted down by dogs and shot than by being trapped or poisoned.

Animals caught in traps are often not killed cleanly. In many cases their limbs are crushed and they die slowly in considerable pain. Similarly the poisons used to kill animals are often somewhat inhumane, too. 10-80 (The poison used by the Kiwis) interferes with the Krebs cycle and the victim dies a very painful death by liver failure over a period of 3 days or so. (There are pictures of deer which, having been poisoned inadvertently attempted to gore their intestines out to escape the pain.)

Have you ever seen a rabbit in the latter stages of myxomatosis? Not a pretty sight and certainly not very comfortable for the rabbit, but at least you don't have to look at people who are hunting rabbits.

I think the objectionable aspect of Football, is all the dressing up, self-glorification, and one-up-man-ship on nature. There isn't so much humility in the act. That's how it seems to me; but I may well be wrong to judge, I'm certainly not privvy to the Football culture.

I changed 'hunting' to 'football' and I agree with you. Football should be banned! All that objectionable dressing-up and one-upmanship. - Not to mention the irritating tuneless vulvazelas (at least the huntsmen do try to play some sort of tune on their horns;))

As I said in a previous post, I don't hunt foxes and I've never had any inclination to hunt foxes. If I hunt an animal or a bird, or catch a fish, I do so because I intend to eat it. I do accept, however, that the hunting 'industry' (foxes and other creatures) provided a number of jobs in rural communities and provided a significant amount of the funding which went towards maintenance of the rural environment.

I used to live in an area where there was a considerable amount of deer hunting. The hunters were a nuisance (and some of them were dangerous, too) but they provided a fair bit of income through tourism and licence fees. A county just to the South of where I lived decided to ban deer hunting. It was inhumane. We don't need it. Deer don't have many predators - there were no wolves around and effectively, the only predator was man.

A year or so later, there was a marked increase in starving and diseased deer. - The herds had increased, but the food supply hadn't. There was also a marked increase in the number of accidents between deer and cars. - The deer were going into the towns and villages in search of food.

The county rescinded the hunting ban, but the hunters weren't too keen to return, because the quality of the herd was so poor. So the county had to fund (at considerable expense) a culling programme to restore the quality of the herd.

It would be a great pity to see foxes eradicated in the UK - Some might say it would be a disaster. Foxes are, however, not urban animals. They do not like people and they don't go too near them if they can help it. It appears that for many foxes, life in the city is better than life in the country. Perhaps somebody ought to find out why and do something about it?

The urban fox could easily be controlled in urban areas by baiting up local parks at night then lamping them with lurchers .This method is done a lot in parts of birmingam as one video i watched recently some lads killed ten foxes in a night on some council owned football pitches:D

You're probably right, but isn't 'Hunting foxes with dogs' illegal?

You're probably right, but isn't 'Hunting foxes with dogs' illegal?
Yes but nobody takes any notice of this stupid law as most fox hunts its buisness as usual and lads hunting them with lurchers and terriers now far exceeds those that just wish to hunt rabbits.

If I was a wild animal - and if I was capable of making the decision - I think I would probably prefer to die by being hunted down by dogs and shot than by being trapped or poisoned.
But how can you say that, you haven't had the life of the fox. As the superior being the best we can do is make that judgement based on our own experiences, personally to be pursued and beaten to death by a violent mob, must be one of the worst ways to die I could ever think of.

Animals caught in traps are often not killed cleanly. In many cases their limbs are crushed and they die slowly in considerable pain.

There are many types of trap, some of which can be baited but don't cause death.

Similarly the poisons used to kill animals are often somewhat inhumane, too. 10-80 (The poison used by the Kiwis) interferes with the Krebs cycle and the victim dies a very painful death by liver failure over a period of 3 days or so. (There are pictures of deer which, having been poisoned inadvertently attempted to gore their intestines out to escape the pain.)

Again, I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of mankind to devise a poison that kills swiftly and humanely...I've yet to see a poisoned mouse try to rip its own intestines out.

reports in the news today another child attacked by fox if they hadnt banned hunting them we wouldnt be riddled with them and they wouldnt be attacking people/children

You are as silly as a sardine! :rolleyes:

These foxes, which are attacking people, are urban foxes, which aren't hunted by hounds anyway. Rural foxes in contrast are shy and usually frightened of humans, because they rarely see any humans.

reports in the news today another child attacked by fox if they hadnt banned hunting them we wouldnt be riddled with them and they wouldnt be attacking people/children

Yeah, I can just see loads of posh nobs on horses riding round the citys hunting a fox!! Get real!!:loopy:

About 15 years ago I was attacked by a dog here in Sheffield, I was badly bitten, had to be taken to hospital and had quite a few stitches to patch me up. I think people are far more at risk from domestic pets than wild foxes.

Yes, urban foxes are on the rise, but Fox hunting is not the answer. If there is an increase of any vermin population, it needs dealing with quickly and efficiently. A group of men and women on horseback, following a pack of dogs for a few hours to catch one fox is neither. Also, it’s not going to work in urban areas, can you see a hunt running down Penistone Road on a Saturday?

Urban Foxes are different to the country side fox although they may be some cross over at the edge of urban sprawl areas such as High Green and Stocksbridge, the ones in the highly urbanised areas have so little to do with the country side foxes.

I live in the country side and I am 100% against fox hunting, it’s pointless. It something needs culling, either trap it or shoot it, it’s far more efficient and far more human.

Also, how come it’s only Fox’s that were hunted? The number of Rats in urban areas is far higher than foxes in urban areas but people aren’t calling for Rat hunting to be allowed, they just call a pest controller. I wonder why? Is it because the press couldn’t make a good story out of it?

About 15 years ago I was attacked by a dog here in Sheffield, I was badly bitten, had to be taken to hospital and had quite a few stitches to patch me up. I think people are far more at risk from domestic pets than wild foxes.

Only 1 thing to do............... Kill all domestic dogs! Lets order a cull!!

Where do you expect foxes to go if their natural habitat is being taken over by posh people on horses with a pack of hungry dogs??:loopy:

Archived