New Govt takes away our right to see a G.P within 48 hours

Except as I said before, GPs always have emergency slots available, and absolutely nothing will change. There is still a finite number of patients who can be seen, the target doesn't magically compress time.

Unless doctors are squeezing more patients in to meet the target, in which case, isn't quality suffering?

You must be joking or you have a far better GP service than the rest of us!

Apart from this, it takes most of one day before anybody even answers the phone

I think you should all sign up to my doctors. You walk in anytime during the surgery hours, get given a number, and wait your turn. No appointment, no "48 hour rule". Easy-peasy.

Compare this with my old GP. I rang up on a Monday - asked for an emergency appointment (i had tonsilitis). I was told to call back before 8:30am on the day i needed to be seen. So, I rang back at 8:00am on Tuesday - was told that all the appointments for EVERY Doctor in the practice were taken, and I should call back tomorrow. Called back Wednesday at 8:00am and was told the same thing. Asked if I could book an appointment for NEXT week - "Sure, no problem. Ive got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday".

Oh, and I also agree with someone else on this thread who said they'd much rather be able to make an appointment for the future. I usually know when I'm going to need to see my GP, and for the odd times when I get something unexpected like tonsilitis, I know I will be able to be seen quicker, thanks to the abolition of the stuipd rule.

Another once chalked up for the current Government.

How dare you stand up and speak out against another one of titanics labour fuelled attacks against the current government.

How dare you speak out against the previous governments management of the right to see a g.p within 48 hours.

Who do you think you are.

This is Titanics moment of glory using a none story to attract the masses back to the labourite way of thinking, crunch, crash, bust.

How dare you extract the urine out of that sad old leftie Titanic! a very un- politically correct thing to do!

In this brave new world of "all being in this together" to resolve the budget deficit it would seem that one of the losers are those people who need to see a G.P.

The new Government has decided to remove some key targets from the previous Government, the first is that we should all see a Doctor with 48 hours and the second that we wait no longer than 4 hours in Accident and Emergency.

I'm not sure how this isn't attacking key frontline services as promised by both Coalition members, but perhaps I can work it out the next time I'm sat in A and E waiting a bit longer than previously.

Thanks Nick!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10364566.stm

Perhaps you need to book an appointment to see your GP as you are obviously suffering from CMNGS . Sometimes know as Compulsive Moaning about the New Government Syndrome. It often follows from a bout of TBELM Syndrome combined with BTG Disease otherwise known as Turn a Blind Eye to Labour Miss-management and Blame the Thatcher Government.

How dare you extract the urine out of that sad old leftie Titanic! a very un- politically correct thing to do!

That's the next thing that needs to go, political correctness.

If I want to call a bin bag a black bag, then it's a black bag.

Take my lad at the moment.

He has a toe which is infected, we phoned the Doctors and got seen the same day.

Now unless I'm wrong, under the current rules he needed to be seen within 48 hours and was.

Now if the same thing happens next year there appears to be no compulsion to see him within specific timescales.

Do you think this is right, because I don't.

why not infect one of his toes next year and see how long it takes to see a doctor

the fact that this, and a number of other meaningless non-clinically driven targets are going to be removed can only be a good thing.

when i saw this on the bbc news web site this lunchtime, i had a small bet with myself that tit99 would have started a thread about it by the time i got home.

sometimes, i wonder if our dogged new labour supporter isn't really a local new labour figurehead like ed balls or ed millipede. though i suppose he could be someone like the seat losing ex home secretary wacky jaquie who was always mildly bananas

Genuine question to the OP... Do you feel the Labour targets were met, honestly?

The figures were always bent to fit the targets. I frequently have had appointments cancelled as quite clearly they would have fallen outside the SLA - better to cancel than take a hit on the percentage points. Perhaps removing these so-called rights will make for more honest time-keeping and better "customer" service all round.

All these Tory changes appear to be negative initially. But to me they just appear to be aligning themselves with other service led organisations (i.e. anyone outside the public sector). About time too...

That's the next thing that needs to go, political correctness.

If I want to call a bin bag a black bag, then it's a black bag.

Has anyone ever stopped you calling it a black bag? :loopy:

You're scaremongering about the removal of a totally meaningless target. That 48 hours was a totally spurious figure anyway. They wouldn't even make you an appointment for anything unless they could make it for within the 48 hours deadline.

In other words it meant you have to keep ringing early every morning hoping to be able to get an appointment for that day, by the time you get one you're either better or dead.

They should stop having appointments altogether and just let you go to the surgery and wait to be seen like in the old days. From what I'm told it was a much better system.

Please do not confuse the issue with your true facts.

Archived