Never again pc world

This bugs me, all these people thinking that you shouldn't have to contact the manufacturer..

Most computer related products and/or peripherals are a "Manufacturer Warrantee" so once you have purchased it from the store.

You should check if the warrantee is a return to store or manufacturers warrantee....

Surely the deal was made with the store and not the manufacturer and as such the sale of goods act is your friend. The first thing you should do is to seek a replacement or a refund from the seller and if they are not willing to oblige then quote the sale of goods act and threaten them with trading standards.

A quick google of statutory rights will tell you this. The manufacturer is not privvy to offer you any refund as you did not purchase the goods directly from them.

yeah, in this case seek replacement from the shop, but I mean generally you need to check where the warrantee lies because if it states "1 year manufacturer warrantee", then after X number of days (anything from 48 hours to 30 days) you deal with the manufacturer and not the store...

yeah, in this case seek replacement from the shop, but I mean generally you need to check where the warrantee lies because if it states "1 year manufacturer warrantee", then after X number of days (anything from 48 hours to 30 days) you deal with the manufacturer and not the store...

According to the Sale and Supply of Goods Act, your rights are with the shop, not with the manufacturer. Your manufacturer's guarantee is additional on top of your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. If something goes wrong in the first 6 months, the retailer is responsible for sorting it out.

It happened with one of my relatives. He got a brand new cannon camera from somewhere in South Asia. That was a gift item so he didn't care to open for checking etc. But when he gets back home, the thing simply doesn't work.

No way to replace it either!!

Sale of Goods Act - complaints letter templates from BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

It doesn't matter how long the manufacturer warranty is, the rule of the supply chain is that you return it to where you bought it from. The shop does the same, right the way up the chain to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then bears the cost of repair or replacement.

This bugs me, all these people thinking that you shouldn't have to contact the manufacturer..

Most computer related products and/or peripherals are a "Manufacturer Warrantee" so once you have purchased it from the store.

You should check if the warrantee is a return to store or manufacturers warrantee....

It makes no difference - you only have to return it to the store where you bought it from.

Tesco refuse to handle returned elecrical items. They tell you to contact the manufacturer. Tried it a few months ago and they flatly refuse.

It was a basic toaster which only cost £4.48 ish so I just left it on the Customer Services desk and went and bought another. This one has been faultless ever since.

Tesco refuse to handle returned elecrical items. They tell you to contact the manufacturer. Tried it a few months ago and they flatly refuse.

It was a basic toaster which only cost £4.48 ish so I just left it on the Customer Services desk and went and bought another. This one has been faultless ever since.

If you stick to your guns, they can't refuse. Unfortunately, a lot of stores either don't provide proper training in this, or try and obfuscate the facts to make it appear that you are in the wrong.

Your contract is with the retailer, their contract is with the Manufacturer.

Sometimes though, it does pay to contact the manufacturer - I work for one, and we'll quite happily swap things over after 28 days. However, if you don't want to deal with the manufacturer, the retailer cannot force you to.

It's also worth noting that the 'years warantee' offered as standard is really just a minimum. Depending on the item (as CKG has said above), the retailer retains liability for up to 6 years under the sale of goods act.

Archived