Who remembers Fred Harleys store

I think it used to be in the Hillsborough area in the early 1970s. I vagually remember it. They sold records but much else as well. Does anyone else remember it more than this?

If I remember rightly,the Fred Hartley main shop was at the bottom of Fitzwilliam Street, near bottom of The Moor , and then,I think on Queen's Road. Mainly great value car spares.

Got my first calculator from there and my first digital watch, both red LED thingys....

The teacher caught me cheating in a maths lesson with the calculator and confiscated it and as far as I can remember used it himself for the next few years.

Fred Hartley opened a motor factors warehouse on the industrial estate at the bottom of Herries Rd sometime in the 1970s and were selling to the general public at true wholesale prices. This created fierce objections from the local motor spares trade and eventually they were forced to raise their prices. I think this episode resulted in the bodies that represent the motor-trade introducing some classification of wholesale outlets.

Archived