Should Benefit be cut for people with a spare room?

I haven't yet read the budget statement, but an issue that has been discussed in housing organisations over the last few years is under-occupation of social housing. When people had to consider the cost of renting, many of them downsized to smaller properties once their families had left home. My own inlaws moved out of a family sized house to a two bedroomed flat for precisely this reason after they retired. It cost less to heat, and had no garden, which were big considerations as they got older.

Nowadays, housing benefits/local housing allowance will pay the full rent on even a four bedroomed council house when only one person is living in it. This is usually because their family have grown up and left home, or if a couple have split and the one taking the children has moved out. The same principle doesn't apply to single people left in large privately rented houses with more expensive rents, and people who own their homes often have to downsize in retirement to reduce the costs of maintenance and repairs etc.

So perhaps its not completely heartless, as although it might be hard for someone to give up their home, social housing is meant to help those who need it - and the people who need it most at the moment, are families with children.

Housing Association properties are exempt from LHA, but covered by the new rules.

Under 25 Single people qualify for the Shared Accom rate!

Housing Association properties are not exempt from LHA. These new rules you speak of may exempt them but right now they are LHA properties.

I realise under 25's are covered by shared accomodation rate, I mentioned it in an earlier post and included it in that post for that very reason!;)

I haven't yet read the budget statement, but an issue that has been discussed in housing organisations over the last few years is under-occupation of social housing. When people had to consider the cost of renting, many of them downsized to smaller properties once their families had left home. My own inlaws moved out of a family sized house to a two bedroomed flat for precisely this reason after they retired. It cost less to heat, and had no garden, which were big considerations as they got older.

Nowadays, housing benefits/local housing allowance will pay the full rent on even a four bedroomed council house when only one person is living in it. This is usually because their family have grown up and left home, or if a couple have split and the one taking the children has moved out. The same principle doesn't apply to single people left in large privately rented houses with more expensive rents, and people who own their homes often have to downsize in retirement to reduce the costs of maintenance and repairs etc.

So perhaps its not completely heartless, as although it might be hard for someone to give up their home, social housing is meant to help those who need it - and the people who need it most at the moment, are families with children.

LHA does not. HB might cover the cost of a 4 bed council house for a single person but LHA certainly wouldn't

No that is not the case, they intend limiting the level of Housing Benefit to a figure that is appropriate to the size of your household.

Here is what they said.

"It will also be cut for people of working age who are in larger homes than their family size warrants"

So if they apply the same principles as with Local Housing Allowance a single person will be allocated the level for one-room, so if their rent is higher than that amount they will have to make the deficit up.

They already do that.

as a Single person living in a single bed flat/bedsit, (and i'm over 25) I was entitled to £364 per month, now as the same person living in a 3 bedroom house "Sharing" i'm entitled to £260 per month... if I was living in this house on my own, I would still only be entitled to £260 per month.

Do you live in Camden?

Obviously different councils operate different criteria, a quick look round other councils shows Camden to be the exception rather than the rule. Besides directgov says this http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928

and they are right! Any private landlord which a housing association is would fall under LHA

Do you live in Camden?

Obviously different councils operate different criteria, a quick look round other councils shows Camden to be the exception rather than the rule. Besides directgov says this http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928

and they are right! Any private landlord which a housing association is would fall under LHA

Check 1.071 these tenancies are outside of the scope of LHA

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/lha-guidance-manual.pdf

LHA does not. HB might cover the cost of a 4 bed council house for a single person but LHA certainly wouldn't

Sorry if I've not grasped the difference. A quick question - if a person is living alone and on benefits in a family sized (3+ bedroomed) council house, which are they entitled to - LHA or HB. I'm still involved in housing (voluntarily) and I've not heard of an existing tenant in the above situation having to move because their rent isn't all covered.

Sorry if I've not grasped the difference. A quick question - if a person is living alone and on benefits in a family sized (3+ bedroomed) council house, which are they entitled to - LHA or HB. I'm still involved in housing (voluntarily) and I've not heard of an existing tenant in the above situation having to move because their rent isn't all covered.
Council property is covered by HB not LHA so a single person living in a 4 bed house would get their rent covered

Archived