What have the Libdems got out of this Budget?

All I can say is don't believe everything your Messiah says.

The reality is that the increase in the Tax Allowance will be almost completely swallowed up by reductions in Tax Credits and Housing/Council Tax Benefit as these are means tested.

So yes they will get a few extra quid in their wage packet but they will also get a little less in Benefit to counter this.

When the other cuts are factored in then you will see that nothing has been done for the poor.

well i dont get tax credits/housing benefit and the council tax has been frozen but best of all is....they have not put the booze up so they get my vote...and the boozer will be rammed tomorrow

All I can say is don't believe everything your Messiah says.

The reality is that the increase in the Tax Allowance will be almost completely swallowed up by reductions in Tax Credits and Housing/Council Tax Benefit as these are means tested.

So yes they will get a few extra quid in their wage packet but they will also get a little less in Benefit to counter this.

When the other cuts are factored in then you will see that nothing has been done for the poor.

oh! i forgot....looks like the poor have got the short straw again...just like they've done for the past 13 years under liebore....

Guest sibon
i'm a libdem voter, and up to now i think i've done the right thing

Genuine question AOB. If you are happy with all that has happened since the election, why didn't you vote Conservative?

I'm not trying to point score here by the way:)

Genuine question AOB. If you are happy with all that has happened since the election, why didn't you vote Conservative?

I'm not trying to point score here by the way:)

i'm a pragmatic, mostly left of centre, but sometimes slightly right on some things sort of a guy, so the lib dems is the party for me :)

a "one world" tory party devoid of the eurosceptic, post-thatcherite nutters might appeal in a tactical voting sort of a way, but i'm too left to really find such a party comfortable.

i feel new labour betrayed its core working class voter and would only vote for them to keep out a far worse threat. if the new leader can reconnect with the worker without dragging the party too far leftwards then maybe i'd consider voting for them. of the current candidates, only diane abbot really seems to be the one who would do that and she probably stands no chance.

i think we have to acknowledge that the key thing we need is a stable government and, whether we like it or not, the general election result allowed only the coalition as an option. some policies have had to be sacrificed in order to form the coalition and while i may not like it, i can live with it. if the coalition is a success, then it will have been worth it and i'm prepared to wait and judge their overall performance rather than dissect each individual action.

this budget was always going to be difficult whether or not we had a tory government or the coalition and I think that had labour won they would have had to have a budget in all but name between now and autumn to take account of the changed circumstances in the world. we don't how good or bad things really are, nor what the market sentiment about the uk really is, i'm hoping that the government does and that today's budget was the correct response to the real conditions. we shall have to see.

it seems likely that another financial storm coming, whether its another banking crisis or a sovereign debt crisis or a currency crisis or something we've not thought about, it will come and the less debt we have the better we will survive it and if we can manage to avoid the storm, lower debt wouldn't be a bad thing anyway

their reward for supporting the savage cuts in Public Services

And the money to pay for these services was coming from.... where?

(Although it may be second nature to you, simply borrowing it is not allowed.)

Cant change the facts can we.

Facts in a Titanic99 thread? There's an oxymoron for you.

on the backs of lies and deceit well done all you libdem voters who thought u was doing the right thing

Hmmm... let's look at the facts shall we? All three parties declared that cuts were necessary whoever got into power. Now we have a new government and they're making cuts.

Shocking!

Mervyn King: next government will be voted out for a generation

Governor of the Bank of England warns that austerity measures will be so unpopular that the next party in power will not be voted back in.

LINK

Looks like Merv the Swerve got it right. And of course the great British public, with their goldfish-like memories, will forget that all these problems did not spring magically into being on May 7th.

Budget 2010: VAT rise to cost each family £500 a year

'The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away'

Perhaps he's going to keep it until whoever thought up the '£500' line checks his sums.

If the VAT rise will cost each family £500 a year, then given that the VAT increase is 2.5%, raising the present level from 17.5% to 20%, then £500 = (2.5 x V)/120, where V is the total annual expenditure (including VAT) of each family on vattable goods.

V = £24,000.

So - after it has paid income tax and NI, spent money on rent/mortgages, children's clothes, electricity, gas (or oil or whatever it heats its mansion with), food, TV Tax, put aside money for pensions, paid council taxes, paid all other low or zero-rated bills - each family in the UK has £500 a week to spend as it likes.

I bet you didn't realise you were so well-off.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Perhaps he's going to keep it until whoever thought up the '£500' line checks his sums.

If the VAT rise will cost each family £500 a year, then given that the VAT increase is 2.5%, raising the present level from 17.5% to 20%, then £500 = (2.5 x V)/120, where V is the total annual expenditure (including VAT) of each family on vattable goods.

V = £24,000.

So - after it has paid income tax and NI, spent money on rent/mortgages, children's clothes, electricity, gas (or oil or whatever it heats its mansion with), food, TV Tax, put aside money for pensions, paid council taxes, paid all other low or zero-rated bills - each family in the UK has £500 a week to spend as it likes.

I bet you didn't realise you were so well-off.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Thank you for the clarity.

Sometimes, for some people on here this kind of spelling out of the facts is necessary!:huh:

Archived