Childrens homes

I have heard of folk getting info re F.C.H inmates from the city,but it seems to be a hit and miss thing depending on the mood of the time, somewhere on these threads was the correct dept(social dept) i think you have to take a bunch of flowers & lb of butter with you

Hi Duffems thankyou for your help and thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.I live at Hope valley in the peak district and the mobile library can only do so much so called in at the sheffield library and found even less.The member of staff i saw dutifully informed me that it was no use going to the archives on shoreham srteet as a clause had been put on fullwood cottage homes.SO FLYER those flowers and butter are sure looking good to me and may even throw in a couple of home made oven bottom bread cakes just for good measure.Well maybe not home made but from lilly,s pork shop on penistone road .

Duffems.Thanks again for your kind words and advice.Not pm you yet (1) because i have never pm anyone and (2) after working 30 years in the N H S i am not a whizz kid on the internet as you probably can tell.Spent too many years caring and nursing not like today it comes down to paperwork and meeting deadlines etc.So i am a bit thick on basics.

You need to get as much geographical info. as possible on the home's location, name, number, etc. Was this a state run or licensed home or was it a religious affiliated home? Any employee's name you know or can ferret out from family members who may have had a hand in helping your parents place the child would be very helpful

The laws and administrative rules for searching for/identifying children placed with state created/run homes may vary widely and be quite different from the rules internally created in a religious/church-based children's home. A search for him in either will have its own advantages and challenges.

For a state run home, definitely ask to see their rules in writing when it comes to family searches and reunions. This should be public information and you should have no problem accessing this, even though we're in different countries.

There's a thread somewhere on the history and expats called [The lost children], maybe some of those people who are missing finished up down under ?

a lot was sent over to Canada as slave work on the farms

• 2 months later...

Hi Bacardi

Laura Louisa Tansley is also my GrandMother and Herbert was my Granddad....My Father is your Mothers Brother and its so sad I don't know you.

I knew Enid your Mum and was present at her funeral in Tinsley as I was at Alans in Rochdale.

You Don't mention my Dad Douglas and though he told me he was brought up in a Childrens home I am wondering if he was also in Fulwood homes.

I am also researching both my parents past and have located Laura's buriel spot and plan to errect some kind of memorial there for her.

I am also struggling on Herbert Goffs second wife as the transcripts are poor, he married in 1955 and his wifes name was Figg or something else.

Paul

Archived