Road Census Questions

So I saw a road census taking place today in Leeds. They had closed one lane of a dual carrigeway and this was causing massive tailbacks. There were 4 policemen there too...and this got me wondering!

1 - Why are the Police there? Presumably becuase the Census people have no power to direct traffic, but couldn't it be done with HATO's?

2 - Is it illegal NOT to stop at a Census? There are signs up saying "Census point. Stop when requested". The Police were very keen at rounding up cars, by standing in the road. But what would happen if you just drove round him?

3 - Do they consider the impact on traffic in the surrounding area, and have to stop if it gets too bad?

Any answers would be welcome!

3 - Do they consider the impact on traffic in the surrounding area, and have to stop if it gets too bad?

Quite possibly the census is in relation to traffic in the area.

Of course, it's too much to expect people to accept 5 minutes inconveniece for ONE day to possibly avoid 2 minutes inconvenience EVERY day

Of course, it's too much to expect people to accept 5 minutes inconveniece for ONE day to possibly avoid 2 minutes inconvenience EVERY day

I was thinking more about the 20 or so minutes I queued to get out of my workplace, and up the road to the Motorway to get home. To be fair though, this was more down to people crawling past the census site at about 2mph to have a good stare at what is going on.

Archived