Nether Edge Assault on Doorstep Warning.

Chain on, 2 dogs barking like crazy ( and before the anti-dog brigade pick this up, no they're not biters..just protecting their mom from strangers ) and my kitchen drawers are just behind my back if I open the door, easy access to a kitchen implement if I need it..

Thats right Paddy, my OH was attacked from behind on the street by someone from there a few months ago and the police didnt do anything due to him being from there as he was being "treated and was not aware of his actions".

If someone has a mental Health problem it does NOT mean they are above the law. If you have been atacked then it needs to be taken seriously mental health problem or not. Do you think the police were just fobbing you off?? musy say I have not heard of anyone from MC attacking someone but that doesn't mean it didn't happen..hope you OH is ok.

Yes I am an England fan, but I do know that Netheredge Hospital (Michael Carisle Centre) seem to have an open door policy. Some of the residents there have quite severe mental health problems, but are allowed to just walk out it seems.

people with mental health problems are more likely to be attacked than they are to attack others!!!! why is it that there is still such stigma surrounding mental health problems!!!! MC is not a secure unit so there is no reason for it to be locked up all the time!!!!!

That's where you are wrong. A friend of mine is a copper at Woodseats and they tell me that at least once a day they are asked to look out for a patients who have walked out of that hospital.

Most of the patients who are reported to the police because they are missing from the ward are vulnerable and are at risk from hurting themselves Not others. as I said in a previous post, having a mental health problem should NOT make you above the law. Most people who are severly ill want nothing to do with society and will hide away, thats why they try to disappear!!!!!!

mentally ill people are not all axe weilding maniacs, they are vulnerable individuals who need support and understanding NOT stigmatising!!!!

Your golf clubs wouldn't be a lot of help after being knocked out with a single punch to the face on opening the door!!

I hope that the poor woman who suffered this vicious assault is ok........though I doubt that she will be..... and let it be a warning to all........don't open your door to strangers, especially at night.

My front door is like fort knox but it is half glazed. If I don't recognise the outline of the person on the other side, I either check by looking through the lounge window or I keep the chain on as I open the door. Not only that but whoever is on the other side of the door might be wary when they hear the dog going crazy on the inside.

You can never be too sure these days so it's allways better to be safe then sorry. Sadly it's a sign of the times that we live in. I hope the police catch the maniac that did this and I wish the victim a speedy recovery.

if anyone knocks on my door after 10pm...probably best to get the first punch in then ask what they want at this time of night...

Thats right Paddy, my OH was attacked from behind on the street by someone from there a few months ago and the police didnt do anything due to him being from there as he was being "treated and was not aware of his actions".

I have a relative who spent sometime in the berbage ward. During her stay there there were many occasions where patients just walked off the ward.

Rob

I live just around the corner - didn't hear or see anything that evening.

The Star article states there is no connection with the hospital.

A good case for.....getting familiar with the facts before jumping to conclusions

I have a relative who spent sometime in the berbage ward. During her stay there there were many occasions where patients just walked off the ward.

Rob

They're perfectly entitled to do so, they're there voluntarily.

Archived