Do You `Go To Town` Or `To Sheffield?`

When I graced Sheffield with my presence (Before they exiled me for the sheep incident) I sometimes used to go to town on the bus. Id get onto the bus, put my pennies on the tray and say `One to town, please.`

I heared other people as they got on the bus, theyd say `One to Sheffield, please` and Ive heared people from Parson cross, Ecclesfield, High green and even Hillsborough and Walkley talk about `Going into Sheffield` on shopping trips or what have you, as if it was another city to the one they were currently living in.

Where I live now, people get onto the bus and say `One to Coalville` when theyre going shopping here and I still say `One to town` (The difference is I often say the word "Love" after the `One to town` bit which gets me some VERY funny looks, but old habits die hard.) but at least here there is a bit of open countryside between my estate and the actual town of Coalville.

Which one are you? Do you call the city center Town or Sheffield as if its a different part of the country to you?

Discuss, please, or I may have to find out where you live and move in next door to you.

Archived