Are UK citizens addicted on State handouts?

State benefits  

39 members have voted

1. 1. State benefits

• Yes I receive some state benefit, no matter how small
    • No, I don't benefit from the state at all

Has the UK welfare state created a nation of welfare claimants? How many of us don't claim a penny in benefit of come kind?

From maternity and child benefit to pensions with everything from war benefits to bereavement allowance in between there seems to be a hand out for almost everyone no matter how rich or poor you are.

Here's a list of benefits available:

Disability Living Allowance

Attendance Allowance

Industrial Injuries scheme

War-related benefits

Child Benefit

Guardian’s Allowance

Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Sick Pay

Incapacity Benefit

Widowed Parents Allowance

Bereavement Allowance

Retirement Pension

Severe Disablement Allowance (abolished for new claimants)

Income Support

income based Jobseekers Allowance

Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Housing Benefit/ Council Tax Benefit

Social Fund

Has the welfare state been used to make us all dependant on the State?

Is the UK addicted to hand outs?

no the welfare state was built to help people who suffer financially or otherwise .maybe the people who are on this can/will take advantage of the situation and play the game .the government sets what the people are entitled to live on (maybe too much money?)so the people are only getting what they entitled to .i see that you dont take any kind of benefits and good on you, maybe all the people who can afford to be in your position wouldnt take what they entitled to either but i guess they do .the government have created a me me me society so have to take the blame .in your perfect world how would you do it otherwise?i await your answers

Has the UK welfare state created a nation of welfare claimants? How many of us don't claim a penny in benefit of come kind?

From maternity and child benefit to pensions with everything from war benefits to bereavement allowance in between there seems to be a hand out for almost everyone no matter how rich or poor you are.

Attendance Allowance

War-related benefits

Child Benefit

Guardian’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Sick Pay

Incapacity Benefit

Bereavement Allowance

Retirement Pension

Income Support

Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Social Fund

Now you've just made it worse......mad dashes.......

For some people they're handouts, but for others, they're merely getting some of their own money back.

When I came to the UK, I was told about 'National Insurance'. The way it was described, it seemed like a pretty good idea.

I was not told it was a Ponzi scheme scam, I was not told that the money paid in could (and would) be diverted and put to such use as the government saw fit, nor was I told that - unlike every other insurance policy I'd encountered - payouts would be made to non-policyholders.

Attendance Allowance

War-related benefits

Child Benefit

Guardian’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Sick Pay

Incapacity Benefit

Bereavement Allowance

Retirement Pension

Income Support

Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Social Fund

is that all? i though there was more

I get a state pension of around half the basic pension because I was a full time mum for several years, then a part time worker for several more. Nowadays, I'd get NI credits to boost my pension, back then we got nowt! Now we only need 30 years of contributions for a full pension, but for my age group, it was 39. Wives and mothers couldn't (and didn't) sign on unless they were genuinely looking for work. When I started looking for work, I never considered it - I just went out and got a job!

But I suppose I do get benefits, just hadn't considered something I contributed to for a long time in that light.

I don't claim any welfare, and never have. No doubt if I find myself out of work, I'll get exactly the same as someone who has never worked even though I've contributed thousands to the system I so far haven't used.

Archived