Radio 4: Stuck up or a blessed relief?

BBC Radio 4  

48 members have voted

1. 1. BBC Radio 4

• Stuck up radio for folk who should know better
    • A blessed relief from the raucous noise elsewhere

Would have thought you were past the age for radio 1?

But yeah, I don't listen to music radio much, so R4, R7, and TalkSPort are my main ones. Though talksport not so much in the last few years, used to be good when it was just TalkRadio (i listened almost constantly to the first week it broadcast :))

The average age of the Radio 1 audience is 33. I like Radio 1 because it plays new music and the DJs are around my age (20s - 30s). I don't know how the BBC can justify spending licence payers money on Radio 2 which is basically just a nostalgia station. Most commercial stations do what Radio 2 does. I can see why people like Radio 4 although it is not my cup of tea.

The average age of the Radio 1 audience is 33. I like Radio 1 because it plays new music and the DJs are around my age (20s - 30s). I don't know how the BBC can justify spending licence payers money on Radio 2 which is basically just a nostalgia station. Most commercial stations do what Radio 2 does. I can see why people like Radio 4 although it is not my cup of tea.

BBC Radio 2 is the most popular radio station in the UK.

Stations & listener numbers per week.

BBC Radio 2 – 13 million

BBC Radio 1 – 9.8 million

BBC Radio 4 – 9.6 million

Classic FM – 6.5 million

BBC Radio 5 Live – 5.8 million

Virgin Radio – 2.7 million

Capital FM – 2.6 million

talkSPORT – 2.1 million

BBC Radio 3 – 2 million

I'm Tony. I like Radio 4 most of the time. I don't feel guilty that John Humphries, Charlotte Green, Sandy Toksvig and Melvin Bragg are welcome listening. I'll even admit to preferring it to most of the telly.

Radio 4. Is it for you?

Stuck up or a blessed relief? Both.

I went through a Radio 4 phase but have given up now.

I agree it is wonderfully enlightening and felt like my IQ went up 10 points for every 30 minutes listened to.

But I think personally I don't get on well with having too much intellectual intensity and too much current affairs analysis 24/7 - I am interested in those things, but like to "control" when I follow them and give my brain a break the rest of the time.

Tried Radio 3 for a bit (hate Radio 1 with a passion and don't like all the ads or the "zany" DJs on commercial radio :rolleyes:) but there was too much "weird stuff" and have settled on Classic FM for nice relaxing background sounds :).

Some of it's good, but it can be unbearably middle class sometimes and I have to turn it off before I murder the radio.

This made me laugh - I think people should listen to what they want, but agree Radio 4 is to a certain extent a middle class <veiled swearing removed> fest for the ears.....:hihi:

Archived